Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 535 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
72 CB350 Cafe - Green Assault

Decided to document the process of my first build, so here we go! Picked it up about a month ago. Was just going to do some light resto on it...but then did a compression test with darksidephoto...didn't come back at spec. So that, along with the fact that swapping out the tensioner for the KA slipper was on the to-do list...meant full tear down. Pics of the current progress are below.

A big THANK YOU goes out to darksidephoto for his continual help on this project!

Picked it up

Tore down a little

Tore down a little more

Engine all apart

Just dropped off the top end at the machine shop today...now just waiting for that work to be finished and some parts to come in.

All questions, comments, and advice are welcomed! :D

·
Premium Member
5,605 Posts
Re: 72 CB350 work in progress

Nice going scud. Beside the engine issue, the bike looks to be in great shape. Are you just planning on completing the engine work, or will you be doing some other things while apart?

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

HerrDeacon said:
Nice going scud. Beside the engine issue, the bike looks to be in great shape. Are you just planning on completing the engine work, or will you be doing some other things while apart?
lots of little things for the looks...stuff like bars, cables, bolt-ons, polishing & painting, grinding some tabs. I'm going to try to make a cafe inspired seat with my stocker that will still allow me to have a passenger too.

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts

Ouch that bike looks way too good to chop up.

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts

I was thinking the same...When I obtain bikes that clean I leave them stock. there are just too many roached junkers out there to be had for next to nothing that make great platforms for customizing to your hearts content that the thought of hacking on a clean original one kinda hurts.

but of course it's not my bike and we'll happily follow along with progress either way.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

yeah, to each is own, that's for sure!

I wish there were more junkers out this way. Hondas like these are few and far between here. I see bikes like these that are barely running selling for $1,200 - $1,500 all day long in SoCal...ridiculous...

I'm a young guy...and although I appreciate the beauty of a restored vintage CB...it just doesn't fit my style. So I must hack, chop, and grind my way through...but I do it with love :D

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts

go for it!

·
Premium Member
5,605 Posts

Yup, your bike, have at it and enjoy the build. Similar around here, not many of these bikes at all. Very rare to see any Japanese twin for sale locally, I was very lucky to find my 350.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

cleaned up the lower cases some today so that I can drop them off tomorrow for soda blasting.

question: do I need to remove this seal from the case? if so, how should I go about doing it? my first thought was tapping or prying a little with a flat head...but that seemed to likely to damage it...

·
Registered
583 Posts

If you're spliting the cases you should replace all the seals while your in there. They have probably hardened up over the past 40-years and will eventually leak.

To remove the seal you can tap it out from behind, if your lucky enough to have access, or use a flat tip screw driver to lever it out from the front. Go easy and move from side to side as you go.

A lot of these seals are still available from the Honda dealer and usually for less then they are being offered for on e-bay. You can also take your old seal to an industrial bearing supply shop. On the front of the seal you will see three numbers. Those numbers corrispond with the thickness, inside width and outside width (Though I can never remember what order). Using those numbers a bearing shop can usually find the seal you need in stock.

Good luck with the build.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

lower cases came back from soda blast today...looking very nice now. top end should be done at machine shop next week...should have my gasket and seal kits by then to start the reassembly. mufflers came last night and were supposed to have a satin powdercoated finish, but it looked about as thick as a two-coat rattle can job :shock: and there were places around the stabilizer arm bolts where it was flaking off...unacceptable. already emailed seller and they will be taking them back. so now I'm back on the hunt for mufflers...but it just doesn't seem like there are many options for these 350s. I've seen the megaphones and cones and shortys...all chromed. If I have to settle for chrome than so be it...but I would like to find mufflers that resemble the MAC 4-1 (black) on the 750s, but just shorter. I like the idea of having a muffler in the 12" to 16" range. so the search continues...

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

gonna go the paint route. got some engine enamel coming from jegs. I got nu-cast aluminum for the lower cases, going to do the cam housing and breather cap in that too. then I have black for the cylinders. then a good polishing on the side covers before it all goes back together!

·
Registered
583 Posts

If all you are looking for is a satin black finish for the mufflers you can order a set of after market chrome ones, scuff them with course steel wool, then paint them with VHT high temp satin black. They can easily and inexpensively be touched up if the paint gets chipped.

1 - 20 of 535 Posts