Honda Twins banner

'72 CB175 reassembly questions

4K views 34 replies 6 participants last post by  I-Ride-A-ホンダ 
#1 ·
This is my first motorcycle engine rebuild and I'm being as cautious as my mind will allow. I've got several questions and I apologize but I didn't want to make eleventeen different threads.

1. Is it worth upgrading the charging system with an CB200 generator? I will be upgrading to the Charlie's Place electronic ignition and regulator/rectifier
https://www.charlies-place.com/shop...9-cbcl160s-68-73-cbclsl17-and-74-76-cbcl200s/
https://www.charlies-place.com/shop/type-1-regulatorrectifier-applications/
2. I'm replacing the oil pump no matter what so would an CB200 oil pump fit and would it be advantageous to fit one to my engine for better top end oiling
3. How do I gauge the the wear on my clutch discs? They look quite good to me but I have no problem replacing if necessary.
4. Should I replace the rocker arms and valve springs?
5. The rings gapped at .006" which is the minimum allowable. Do the rings on motorcycles typically need no filing or do they come good to go? Not having to file the rings goes against what I've read and seen on YouTube videos. What gives?
6. Is there anything I need to watch out for more so than anything else?
This is the new cam chain tensioner that I got today. Has anyone else used this set?

See less See more
#29 ·
No argument here.....
We just need to determine the size and length of screw required, and if it needs a sealing washer....
The weekend's coming.....

#33 ·
JIS screw is 6 mm x 30 mm and does use a copper washer....... Upper end of damper has a thick shouldered washer that may or may not be loose on yours...Spring seats on it.......

#35 ·
That's them Richard, thank you all. I had a fairly serious brain fart because I've looked at the very pic at least eleventeen hundred times over the past 3 years LOL. I'm going to disassemble this AM and take a look. Will update what I find asap

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.