Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m starting the rebuild of my 1971 Cb350 barn find. I’ve decided to go for a bit more economical build now that I’ve priced everything. Get it on the road then slowly change and modify it. I’ve got a good vision for it, just have a ton of other projects as well. Here’s a start to my project.
I’m going to start at the front of the bike with the forks, bearings, tires/wheels, and brakes. I’m debating on stripping the frame for paint or rattle can it.
Then I’ll work on the rear. The motor was free and turned over. I’ll go through it too while it’s pulled. Then the tank, seat and clipons.
I’m going to rewire it using the motogadget M-unit blue and M buttons. LED lights. PAMCO and Ricks stator/reg/rectifier.

Holy cow that’s a lot of work to be done.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just an update. Stripped it down and painted. New bushings and bearings all around. New brakes and polished wheels. New tires. New tank and seat. Installed rear hoop with LED lights built in. New fork seals, forks, headlight and turn signal. Clipons. Got it mocked up.

Now for the carbs and engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I would have done the engine first. If it's trashed, then you haven't spent your money on other parts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My father inlaw said it ran when he parked it. I’m sure I’ll have no problem with it. Otherwise I would have gotten it running before tearing it down.

Been looking at going with the motogadget M switches too. Those looo great.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
When did he PARK it?
If it was more than 3-5 Years It will be all goo'd up on the inside and will need some TLC to get running without damage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It’s been about 10 years. I’ll go through the whole thing. Make it new again. Lots of work ahead for myself. But this forum is awesome.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
It’s been about 10 years. I’ll go through the whole thing. Make it new again. Lots of work ahead for myself. But this forum is awesome.
Mine had been sitting in a shed for over 20 years when I started working on it. All I bought at first was enough stuff (carb parts, plugs, battery, stuff to clean out the carbs and gas tank, fresh oil, etc.) to see if the motor ran without any funny noises or smoking. First thing I did was squirt some Marvel Mystery Oil into the combustion chamber and onto the cam, valve stems, and rocker arms, kicked it over a revolution or two, and repeated the MMO treatment. I then let it sit that way for the few weeks it took to get the carbs, tank, petcock, etc. clean and operable. Lucky for me, it started and ran well (after sorting out some electrical gremlins), and had good compression.

Anyway, hope it works out for you as well as it did for me - good luck with it!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had squirted some Marvel mystery oil in it as well. Before I pulled it from the frame. I do wish I would’ve got it running before I pulled it though. I’m sure it will be fine. I’ve got to get the shop manual downloaded. My brother is going to help me with the rebuild as he’s a mechanic. I tinkered on motors when I was younger but relieve never delved into something like this. Just a bit daunting. I’m sure I’ll be asking questions

·
Registered
459 Posts
what clip ons are those?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: finally have my motor back in. This project has taken much more time and money then I has anticipated. Two things I’m lacking these days. So far I’ve:

Relaxed and rebuilt forks, new triple tree and bearings, fork boots, replaced headlight, headlight brackets, clippons, stripped and painted frame, welded rear hoop, rear led, rear gas assist shocks, new swing arm bushings, new tires, cleaned rims, new brakes, new seat, stripped tank, resealed tank, new grips, levers and throttle pull.

Looking to buy the motogadget m-unit w/ Bluetooth, the m-lock, and motogadget buttons. Getting close to being done but winter is near so I guess I have a few more months since I won’t be on the road this year like planned.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts