Honda Twins banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 71 SL175 is coming along. Her is a shot with NOS wheels,exhaust and tank. Should have the bike done next month.

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Gene,
I guess I'm getting old..... I can't remember if the SL 175 models had electric start or not....... I know the 350's did NOT..... But there looks to be clearance on the 175.....Which is it please?..... Steve

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
66Sprint said:
Gene,
I guess I'm getting old..... I can't remember if the SL 175 models had electric start or not....... I know the 350's did NOT..... But there looks to be clearance on the 175.....Which is it please?..... Steve
Hey Steve. Just thought I'd give a bit of info here, on the SL350s. The SL350KO did have the electric starter, but not the K1 or K2.

Later on, Bill

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
I stand corrected....That explains the frame changes too..... Steve

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
66Sprint said:
I stand corrected....That explains the frame changes too..... Steve

Hey, I had no idea about all the changes from the KO til to K2 versions. I only started picking up the info, after I came across the SLs that I picked up on. The KO wasn't much more than some parts changed to give the appearance of a Different model. By the time the K2 came out, there had been all kinds of changes (and some I'm STILL learning about) like a 21" front wheel had been added and the KO was the only model with CV carbs. The forks (at least the triple trees) on the K2 are the same ones on the first few year models of the XL250 and XL350, found that out by doing some part number research. Hard to believe that there were as many changes made to the SL350 for such a short term build. I plan on making a listing of the changes from year to year of that bike and post it for those who are into those bikes. Hope it'll help somebody in need.

Take care Steve, Bill ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I got the fenders and side covers back today. The tank will be done tomorrow[ had a small run in the clear to be cleaned up.]

The color just kind of looks off. I had a NOS tank and one NOS side cover in the original red and both looked miles apart color wise. I had no choice but to repaint the whole bike.The new paint is from Don at Vintage Honda. Anyone here done a 71 in red? The new paint is a candy but looks to have a metallic to it. I had this same bike back in 71 and my color and shade memory is fading. I just don't think the color is close to correct and with out a some what fresh piece to compare I am stuck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
the tins look great, not sure of the match, but as far as color wise in general I like it!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is hard to see the over all color in the photo. This weekend I will get some photos as the bike goes together. A shot in the sun will be better.

It will be nice to get this back out on the road for a ride.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
i don't think i could ride a bike after i cleaned it up as well as yours looks to be.

I pulled mine out of the barn and started in on it. haven't washed it yet. Still has 25 year old dirt on it, hah!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
gene03079 said:
Well I got the fenders and side covers back today. The tank will be done tomorrow[ had a small run in the clear to be cleaned up.]

The color just kind of looks off. I had a NOS tank and one NOS side cover in the original red and both looked miles apart color wise. I had no choice but to repaint the whole bike.The new paint is from Don at Vintage Honda. Anyone here done a 71 in red? The new paint is a candy but looks to have a metallic to it. I had this same bike back in 71 and my color and shade memory is fading. I just don't think the color is close to correct and with out a some what fresh piece to compare I am stuck.
Do you know exactly what paint that is?

I was thinking of something along the lines of that color for my project.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Attachments

Reactions: Simo

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
WOW thanks for the shots of the tank Gene! That tank looks great, no GREAT! I was originally leaning towards GM Burnt Orange/Copper/Gold? You know, that copper color you see on everything now? Grand Am, Grand Prix, Sunfire, etc.. Now including Dodge/Chrysler! :evil: So I was actually looking for a "Plan B" color..

That may be it...

Thanks again Gene!

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Getting a bit closer to finishing. A few trips for nuts and bolts kind of slowed me down today. Got to the front fender install and hit a small snafu. It seems we forgot to paint the bracket that mounts the fender. After looking around the garage for a bit I had an idea. If I have to paint the bracket candy red I may as well spray my 550-4 the same color.

Tomorrow I will mount the fender as is so I can take the bike out for a ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Gene, that is really a great job you are doing on that SL! :cool:
I've got some SL350 (a K0 and 2 K2s) stuff (among others) and hope to get started on something, as soon as my Dad (83yrs old) and I can get through the ordeal that my brother and his wife are putting us through. :x If I can get my Sl350K0 looking any where near as good as yours, I'll be happy. ;)

Mighty Fine! :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts