Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m planning on replacing the rims on my 71 sl 350 with new aluminum rims. I’m struggling to work out the correct sizes. I’m assuming the rear rim is equivalent to 2.50 x 18? The original 19 inch front rim is really skinny....so I am planning to go a little wider, what would you guys recommend? I’m also assuming that the same spoke length as original will be correct?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I've done a lot of reading on wheel building, there is a lot info out there but finding good useful info requires lots of reading, note taking and comparison.
My conclusion was that when changing a rim hoop from stock, you may be ok with stock spokes, you may not. Some rims are made of thicker material than others, especially when you consider aluminum rims.
The best way to be sure is to measure your new rim's ERD effective rim diameter, then measure specific dimensions on your hub, plug this all into a huge equation which yields the inner and outer spoke lengths you need. If the difference is small it may be a non issue and you can use your stock length spokes. If they're too long you may be able to get away with trimming them just a little.
I'll try to find and link the web page that made it all make sense for me, it had useful explanations and automated calculators for those like me who are allergic to long equations.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Generally speaking you're gonna want to size your new rims based on tire sizes that are currently available, taking into account the stock tire sizes as well. Other concerns are correct number of spokes (gotta match the hub) and appropriate rim width for your tire choice. It must generally be mentioned that the holes in the rim hoop are drilled for optimal spoke angle depending on hub size. Big fat drum hubs need steep angles while narrow disc brake hubs need less angle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts