Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A couple summers ago I was riding home from work on a side road around 2am and somehow lost all my oil. The engine stopped and was siezed. Tried the kickstart and it was locked up. I trailered it home and put it in the garage...
Had no time to mess with it so it just sat... as is... full tank of gas... for 2 years covered.
Fast forward to now. Took the cover off it and was admiring my beautifully broke bike. I have had the bike on a tender almost the whole time and was just tinkering around looking for any signs of like it may have. Lights work... horn blew... bumped the electric start and the fricken engine spun. Knowing there was no oil in the engine, I certainly didn't do anything more than a bump... I tried one kick with the kickstart and it spun.
I'm sooo confused.
How can an engine, just by sitting, free itself?
Maybe it isn't too bad after all?
Anyone have similar experiences??
Best way to proceed in this scenario?
I purchased a replacement engine a few months ago that I found on FB that I was going to use but now, I am contemplating rebuilding both engines so as to always have a spare...
Ya, I know... that'll cost a fortune!
But my bike is well worth it to me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Hopefully, it got hot enough to stick one of the pistons before the lack of oil destroyed the cam bearings and the valve gear. I would pull off all the tappet covers and squirt oil all everything you can reach, spin it over a bunch of times, to get the oil pump primed, and try to start it. You won't hurt anything that isn't already thrashed. The piston skirts/bores are sure to be scuffed somewhat, that's a relatively minor repair if the rest of the motor is good.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Wonder if the clutch rod seal came out? It happens on 350s and sometimes on 450s as well, so maybe checking that before firing it up and watching oil spewing out... like the picture above, all the oil spots below the bike as it sits, maybe from dripping off the back half of the bike from that happening before it locked up

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wonder if the clutch rod seal came out? It happens on 350s and sometimes on 450s as well, so maybe checking that before firing it up and watching oil spewing out... like the picture above, all the oil spots below the bike as it sits, maybe from dripping off the back half of the bike from that happening before it locked up
That is exactly where I think I lost the oil.. I just haven't taken off the chain / clutch cover to verify. I know that will be the very 1st thing to do (fix the leak) before adding any oil.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts