Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left side of the engine. I have a slow oil leak below the generator. I pulled the generator cover and found oil laying in the cover and there's oil on the generator as well. I put the bike over on the kickstand to break the rotor bolt loose and the oil RUNS out from behind the rotor. I have trouble believing this is normal. Bad seal behind the rotor? I couldn't get that rotor bolt to come loose either. Is it reverse thread? I know to get the proper Honda rotor puller and not use a three jaw puller.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
the alternator on Honda twins runs in oil by design, there's nothing wrong in that respect. if your left side is leaking, it could be the gasket on the cover that holds the alternator stator or it could be the grommet around the alternator wiring that comes out of the cover. if for some reason (other than worrying about an oil leak) you need to pull the rotor, here is info about the puller necessary. definitely do NOT use a 3 jaw puller, damage would likely result

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/48-engine-discussion/5919-ac-generator-rotor-puller-tool.html#post50803

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so I don't have to pull the rotor! Good to hear, you've made my day! I have gasket material, might just get a kit though. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
If your starter clutch is working okay (meaning no slipping while using the electric start, making grinding noises) then you'll have no need to pull the rotor. Be cautious about using sealer on the gasket as there is an oil galley end under that cover (that houses the stator) and you don't want to get any sealant of any sort in the passages that can cause clogging, as the top end of the engine is dependent on oil flow to lubricate the camshaft, cam bearing caps and rocker arms. Most Honda gasket surfaces are best assembled with clean surfaces and dry gaskets

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Tom is correct. Also behind that cover is the neutral switch,the shift change shaft seal, Chain and drive sprocket. Some wrench turners will put a coat of grease to hold the gasket on while installing the cover and and Ive worked on a couple where they put sealer on the cover so the gasket always comes off with the cover. Some will coat all their gaskets with oil which also works.
I have done all of the above but as Tom said clean and dry is the way to go.

Just some thoughts.

Bill

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, when it's cold out the starter is NOT happy. It might catch for half a revolution and then nothing but grinding. That might have to get addressed later but for now if it's warm outside it grabs fine and I always have the kick starter.

So far I've only taken the very outside cover off with the three screws, "HONDA" cast into it. The actual case cover is a mix of allen bolts and mashed JIS screws from the previous owner. Going to see if re-gasketing the rotor cover will take care of it for now. If not then I'll get the case cover off and take care of the starter clutch as well. I think it's just full of crud from sitting.

I'm not a fan of sealant. If for some reason I HAVE to I'll use it maybe to get myself home but I prefer a proper gasket and I have the stock to cut it. I've made gaskets from pizza boxes and beer boxes before and they worked but I have the right stuff. I don't mind a film of grease to hold it in place though.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the alternator on Honda twins runs in oil by design, there's nothing wrong in that respect. if your left side is leaking, it could be the gasket on the cover that holds the alternator stator or it could be the grommet around the alternator wiring that comes out of the cover. if for some reason (other than worrying about an oil leak) you need to pull the rotor, here is info about the puller necessary. definitely do NOT use a 3 jaw puller, damage would likely result

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/48-engine-discussion/5919-ac-generator-rotor-puller-tool.html#post50803
Sorry, just read that properly. It's likely the case cover leaking? I've seen them come off and it doesn't look all that bad to do it. I think for that one I'll just get the gasket kit and use them as I need.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Oh it will be an eventual leak here and there if they are all the original gaskets. Get a full kit you are going to use them at some point. What I did is get the kit and then buy a roll of gasket paper at can tire and traced out and cut some to use. Keeping the originals as a template backup.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Sorry, just read that properly. It's likely the case cover leaking? I've seen them come off and it doesn't look all that bad to do it. I think for that one I'll just get the gasket kit and use them as I need.
Yes, it's likely the larger cover that holds the stator. The timing cover (smaller 3 screw) can leak as well, but the smaller one is above the oil level under normal situations. Check the small O-rings that are on the 3 screws in the timing cover as well, when they get old and hard they can weep oil around the screws. The only thing I put sealer on when changing the alternator cover gasket is the grommet around the alternator wires coming out of the cover, because the rubber/plastic tends to get squashed and hard over the years and doesn't always seal well enough without a little help. Use a modest amount around the groove in the grommet where it fits into the cover, not too much that it squeezes out into the area

1 - 9 of 9 Posts