Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I'm working on a 1971 CL350. Right now it's running a 16/35 sprocket combo and I want to go WAY lower. I'll be more than happy with a cruise speed of 30 MPH. The bike isn't titled and I only got it for trails out here on the mountain. I can wail on it, and it'll go but trying to keep the engine at a nice RPM means getting bounced all over and it's playing hell on the clutch. I found a 42T rear sprocket from a CL450 like new for cheap but will it work on this bike?

I'm also checking Common Motor Collective. They can set me up with a 14/38 combo. I know just two teeth up front will make quite a difference but I still want to go more teeth in the rear. I'm thinking 14/42 would give me the super low speed I want but still get me to at least 30MPH. There's places on my trails where I can get to 15MPH or so, but there's other spots where you don't want much more than walking speed. Also, I figure swapping sprockets around is a lot simpler and cheaper than trying to find some sort of long travel shocks for both ends and then installing them.

Here's the sprocket I found if that's a help.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Sproc...d=253074968708&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

So I know generally how to do what I want, first gear would be a brisk walking speed, fifth up to 30-40MPH, can I even get that sort of spread? Doesn't have to be exactly that, I mean it can be a bit faster in 1st or even a bit slower in 5th or vicey versey. Main thing is I want to trail crawl with it, I don't know exactly what sprockets I can get though and who would have them. Sorry if I'm not asking the right questions...

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can have em custom made fairly painless, pbi is one company
I'll check them out but any idea if that 450 sprocket would work? That would get me close to what I need I think. Then the 14 front and I'm betting I'd be in good shape.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Custom sprockets are the way to go.

I am not sure where, but my cousin was modifying his bike, and got a "blank" large rear sprocket for the chain, and made had the centre hole and the bolt holes milled.
I think it can also be laser cut, and for a low-speed trials application, that'd probably be alright too. I don't think the cost of a custom made sprocket is that much higher than a standard CB350 sprocket...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Custom sprockets are the way to go.

I am not sure where, but my cousin was modifying his bike, and got a "blank" large rear sprocket for the chain, and made had the centre hole and the bolt holes milled.
I think it can also be laser cut, and for a low-speed trials application, that'd probably be alright too. I don't think the cost of a custom made sprocket is that much higher than a standard CB350 sprocket...
I'll check on that! I have an engine lathe and drill press and I'm not afraid to use them!

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Don't go below the Factory 16 on the front.

The chain will bend too much and it's life expectancy will be very poor, you will find yourself with a broken chain and a LONG WALK home pushing a bike in the mountains.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts