Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

I am going to use my bike for AHRMA racing next year and one of the things a race bike needs is an engine kill switch. This bike never had a kill switch, so my question is generally how to install one as far as the wiring goes? In Haynes, there are 2 diagrams, "CB & CL350 US" which has a kill switch, and a "CB & CL350 General Export" which does not have a kill switch (ironically mine seems to apply to the later even though it is a US bike). From looking at both it appears that I would just insert/splice a switch into the black/white wire coming from the coils? Please let me know if I'm going in the right direction.

Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I would think a wire from the plus side of the coil to a handlebar switch to ground would work.Kinda like a horn button when the button is pushed it would ground out power to the coil.

Just a thought.

Bill

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
You can install the kill switch in the black/white wire that goes from the ignition switch to the coils.

Edit: I should have clarified, you would use a normally closed switch. In the run position it would supply power to the ignition (coils). In the "Kill" or "Off" position it would remove power from the ignition (coils) just as the ignition switch does.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
You could use a 5 pole automotive relay and operate it one wire connected to a horn button. Mount the relay near the coils and connect the old coil lead (switched 12 volt)to terminals 30 & 86, connect 87A to the coil + terminals and connect 85 to a wire grounded by the kill switch. Alternatively, you could ground terminal 85 to the frame and connect 86 to the wire coming out of the factory kill switch. For more voltage and a hotter spark, connect #30 directly to the battery wire with a 12 gauge (fused) wire.

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
The factory kill switch breaks the 12V + line to the coils. This is the safest way to do it. Grounding the points line will require a double pole switch (You need to ground both coils). The issue with that is that the coil could overheat if you accidently leave the kill switch in the kill position, and the ignition on. By only breaking the single 12V line to the coils, both cylinders are disabled and there is not chance of harming the coils.

J-T is correct on this point.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
J-T is right. I thought he just wanted to stop the motor. Doing what I suggested and not switching off the power would burn up the coils.

Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts