Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just got my bike on the road this weekend and its running really well aside from this damn oil leak. I owned a CB a couple years back and it had the same leak issue.. I never fixed it on that bike cause it didn't get worse with time and was a fairly small leak.. On this bike its seems to be a little bit more severe.
Any way, the oil is leaking into the points cover, so from what I have read, its probably gonna be a worn cam shaft seal. I have not pulled the points box yet to have a look but am planning to this week. I have two questions:

1. Does anybody know where I can get a replacement cam seal? Ive scoured the internet and can't seem to find any. The only ones I have come across come in a pack with all the gaskets and seals.. The previous owner already rebuilt the top end (I know from the new gaskets) so I dont need all of the other stuff. Just that cam seal.

2. My second question is about a sound I just noticed. When the bike is running I hear a sorta "poof" sound coming from what seems to be the points area.. The sound is like that of air escaping somewhere.. So I'm guessing that is due to the faulty cam seal as well.. Does that sound right? Lastly, will riding it like it is hurt anything besides maybe making the leak get worse (and maybe my chances at picking up any girls cause I got a bike that smokes ;).. It's not a lot of oil but enough to give me pause. When i am at a stop light, the side pipes and top engine fins smoke from the oil. When I lean it over on the kickstand after a ride a few drops of oil immediately drip out of the points cover, I'd say half a tea-spoon or so.

Thanks in advance!
-Jeremy

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Any oil coming out behind the points is not making it to lubricate the cam journals......
Fix it before you ride again....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much maverick.. From what I understand its a pretty straight forward process for pulling the old one out and putting the new one in.. Is there any thing special or any tips I should know?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just be careful not to damage the inside walls of the points base where the seal goes while you are taking the old one out. I used a wood stick to tap it out from the back side. And used a socket wrench to gently tap the new one in. I'll figure it out. Not a hard task.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Bike Bandit is a bandit rip off.
Just goto your local Honda dealer and buy the seal for $7.00, no shipping.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, so pulled off the points and all today to have a look at the seal.. It looks ok. I mean the rubber still seems pretty soft and all.. I didnt pull the whole box off cause it really didnt want to budge and i couldnt find my rubber mallet to loosen it up. So im not sure if it is possibly something else like the o-rings on the cam adjustment bolts or what.
Whata you guys think? I know im not giving much to go on esp. without pictures or anything, but do you think that it still is likely to be the cam seal even though it seems to be in good shape?

·
Registered
785 Posts
dunnisher said:
Whata you guys think? I know im not giving much to go on esp. without pictures or anything, but do you think that it still is likely to be the cam seal even though it seems to be in good shape?
Yes, I think it is the cam seal.
It is not as bad as you think to change it but, the gasket is NLA from Honda so you will have to cut your own.
I did that when I changed my cam seal the 1st time and then coated both sides of the cut gasket with Hondabond4 that I let dry for two days before I put it together. It worked just fine not leaking at all.
I have since rebuilt the engine completely and changed the seal and gasket again for the hell of it. This time, it has a real gasket from a set I bought on ebay.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You know, I have built only one bike so far so my input is not pro input just yet, but I do think I have a good head on my shoulders and this is what I have to say.

The cam oils seal, just like the fork seals, have a little built in metal spring ring which I think stretches overtime(heat may be a factor also) and doesn't pull the rubber arrond the cam as tight as it should, this in turn causes the oil to seep through. I don't think this damage is visible to the eye, but I am convinced that this is how the leakage takes place and this is why a new seal is the only solution.

I too had to cut my own gaskets out of gasket material given to me, I think you can get that stuff at autoparts store. I also used regular gasket sealer from Napa, not only on the points base but on all other covers as well and they don't leak so I have no reason to think that my gaskets will leak. I cut the largest hole on the gasket firs then fit it through the points base and traced the rest and then carefully cut out the rest. applied the gasket sealer and slapped it back on the engine after waiting for it to dry lil bit.

I have not been able to start my bake after changing the cam oil seal ( I am waiting on some coils) so i dont know if my pints oil leak is fixed yet. Soon as I get the bike running I will update on the results of the new oil seal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all.. I will be ordering the cam seal this week. Ill let you know how it goes.
Thanks again

·
Registered
785 Posts
dunnisher said:
Thank you all.. I will be ordering the cam seal this week. Ill let you know how it goes.
Thanks again
Wait until you ride your CL350 with no oil leak, it is so much more satisfying. ;)
My 71 CL350K3 did a 10 o'clock wheelie in front of the owner of Honda of North Hollywood today, it put a big smile on his alcoholic face.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good call on the Honda House.. They didn't have it but ordered it for me today. Grand total of $7.13.. It was kinda funny though, the guy looked at me with a "what the hell you talkin' bout" look when I told him what I needed.. Sure ain't no 2010 Shadow.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well...
spent the morning replacing the seal. it seemed to work. i rode it around the neighborhood for a bit to let the engine heat up and there was no oil. Yes! Problem solved! nope
Just got back from a thirty mile ride and sure enough. oil is all over the fins and points wires. it isnt as bad as it was for sure. there is no constant drip drip drip when i park the bike on the side stand after a ride.
So now im not sure what the next logical step is here. Do i assume its one of the little o-rings around the valve adjustment bolts or mabe just the gasket between the engine and the points box.
Im at a loss and frustrated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I understand the frustration :) :) I cant sit still when mi bike is not functioning 100%, but frustration only makes things worse.
Take a day off from you bike and come back to it with a fresh mind.
Methodically and with patience check the proper installation of the oil seal, and then just to keep things moving, do replace the gasket of the points base. After that you can move on to the "o" rings if there is still a leak. But most importantly remember to have fun while working on all of this. :geek:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks man.. you're right. ill pull the cover tomorrow and see if the seal is seated properly. sometimes it is difficult to not get frustrated with these things but with a night of sleep im usually ready to go at it full bore again.
after all riding is only half of the fun.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have come to find if the gasket behind the cover is not perfectly located, oil will leak out and piss me off bad. :evil:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone come up with an official solution to this leaking issue?

I have a 72 cl350 with the same problem. New seal didn't fix it... :cry: I'm assuming its due to wear on the cam shaft...

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Elliot,

I just played this game in THIS THREAD. The new seal seems to have fixed that leak for me, though I only have 70 miles or so on the new seal. My camshaft appeared sort of worn (you can see it in the photo in the other thread), but the seal still seems to work. If the cam is too worn to seal, the only real option I can think of is to replace the camshaft. Or if you have a really good machinist, you could try to locate a seal with a smaller ID (say a 21x35x5, as opposed to the 22x35x5 or 22x35x6 that are standard) and have a machinist turn down just the end of the camshaft wear the seal sits. Not too far back, though, or you get into the bearing area.

Three questions:
1. What method did you use to replace the seal (out-of-bike top end tear down, in-bike points housing removal, direct removal from still installed housing)?
2. If you could see it, how did your cam journal/bearing look when you were replacing the seal? How about the cam itself?
3. What size is your new seal? I've read that the 22x35x5 is preferable, and it's what I'm using, but the original was probably a 22x35x6. Rumor has it that the 22x35x6 is more prone to leaking.

Best of luck getting this fixed!

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
in the area you have your leak there are two o-rings, a gasket and an oil seal...have you replaced all 4 of these sealing items?

to do it properly, you need to pull the motor, remove the cam chain tensioner, remove the left points end cap and diagnose were your problem is...

Install a new cam seal, two new rocker arm oRings and coat the end cap gasket with copper spray gasket on both sides then reinstall.

the only thing you'll need to ensure is that your cam is not nicked or burred where it rides on the oil seal. it's also not a bad idea to apply a thin coat of permatex to the outside of the oil seal when you press it in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts