Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'71 Honda CL175 Scrambler
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New to the forum and it looks like a great resource for a beginner restorer. My current project is a 1971 CL175 Scrambler. Everything is coming together nicely as parts are easy to find. My problem is the seat. The original is pretty much shot and it looks like there aren't a lot of options for the K5. Other than the stitching pattern, has anyone had experience on the differences between K0-K7 seats? Would one of the other year models work on a K5?

Many Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
495 Posts
IIRC there are only 2 kinds of vertical engine (K0 is different) 175 seats, rear hinged or side hinged. Check cmsnl.com for part numbers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IIRC there are only 2 kinds of vertical engine (K0 is different) 175 seats, rear hinged or side hinged. Check cmsnl.com for part numbers.
Thanks much. I had already cross-checked part numbers and although everything I saw was rear-hinged, the part numbers are different for each K model. From visual inspection, it looks like the only difference is maybe the stitching. I'm probably going to end up getting one for the other K models and try it, but thought I would ask if there was somebody out there with hands-on experience that can confirm.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey RonDog,
middletons is correct on the different K models. I have a 1970 SL175 which is a K0 model and it hinges from the side. Anyway last year a tree fell during a snow storm and hit the bike, the only damage was to the seat and it was pretty much destroyed. I searched for a long time for a new seat and was not able to find one that was in any better shape than the one I had. I took the seat to a local upholstery shop and he was able to repair the seat, all I had to do was find the cover which was pretty easy. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey RonDog,
middletons is correct on the different K models. I have a 1970 SL175 which is a K0 model and it hinges from the side. Anyway last year a tree fell during a snow storm and hit the bike, the only damage was to the seat and it was pretty much destroyed. I searched for a long time for a new seat and was not able to find one that was in any better shape than the one I had. I took the seat to a local upholstery shop and he was able to repair the seat, all I had to do was find the cover which was pretty easy. Hope this helps you.
Hi, Pintos53,
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, this helps. The seat pan I have is in pretty bad shape and missing parts. It was formerly part of a "Rustoleum Restoration" ...if you know what I mean... I've found some reproduction complete seats and am thinking that buying a whole new seat may be the best way to go. So my basic goal is to find out if CL175 seats from different years are interchangeable as the reproduction for a K5 seems harder to come by.

Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts