Honda Twins banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello...
i have a question about a cb450 engine;problems with scored cam shaft lobes/followers and r/h cylinder. all cam lobes and followers are scored and r/h cylinder is scored also. hot comp readings are;lh 150 psi, rh 145 even with the scoring ...the engine is still together and i imagine the camshaft brg surfaces are scored/galled also. i removed the oil filter cover and only noticed normal fuzz and with the stater motor spinning good oil flow out of the pump. the bike was about 3/4 quart low when this happened at highway speed (about 65mph) even though it was not noticed until slowing down into city driving where the noise was noticable and the rh side smoked some...looking at the pickup for the pump it seems to be fairly high and seeing what happened i imagine the top end was oil starved/overheated but wondering about the bottom end on this engine since it has roller bearing rods. if 3/4 qt low is there still sufficient oil to splash lube the bottom end? looks like it should be but until teardown insspection i can not tell..any suggestion on cam replacements, weld/regrinding or replacement and who/where to get them? i noticed someone does needle bearing support on the camshaft ends if these are bad...piston /ring sources, parts sources in the usa? any input on the oiling system on this bike would be appreciated..thanks,joe

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
MINIMUM compression spec on a DOHC 450 is 162 PSI..... I don't know if your low readings are the result or the cause of the low oil level.....Ebay, CMSNL and, David Silver are some places to look for spares.....Cappellini offers cam roller beating conversions and exotic pumps and filters I believe......

1 - 2 of 2 Posts