Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my first post, I could not find my exact scenario so here it goes. I bought a 71 CB450 of CL the other day. Pretty good shape, leaking oil and has a bad starter. Rode it and liked so I picked it up for $600. Rode it a couple of times and then went to look into the oil leak from the shifter. I noticed the c clip on the shaft was out of it's home and the shift shaft seal was actually out of the case about .5 inch from the case. So I pulled the shifter which was very hard by the way, the cover, and then pushed the seal back in, pushed the washer back to it and moved the clip into place. I noticed right away the clip was not up against the seal and I thought it was just a dried out seal and I would get some new seals later. When I was reinstalling the shifter I noticed the shaft seemed to jump back into the engine (maybe I pulled it out too hard?) and it didn't seem to shift right, not engaging or clicking.
I put it back togother and got it on the ground and got it to shift into first and second but it seems to get into a false neutral now. Keep in mind I have my kick starter off waiting for a new one as it was not the right one for the bike and the starter is dead so I could not test ride it tonight. I can't understand from the diagram how the shaft can be out to that side of the bike? What id I do?

I am going to buy a little gear puller to avoid this stupid mistake of prying of the shifter and breaking somethingr

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
They don't shift well if the transmission shafts aren't spinning....

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I got it running and took it out. First few blocks I had 1-2 gears, rode some, 3-4 came back and finally all 5. Not sure how or why. i took it out again and it's working better. I kind of push in and up or down and it's smoother for some reason. I put on about 20 miles and it seems ok, not perfect but good enough.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think there should be a washer in between the little "c" clip or circlip and the seal. The absence of this may cause the shifter shaft to move horizontally, but only slightly.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have enough room for 2 washers, I would think it would be flush. I have a new seal that I will throw in but I doubt it will change the spacing.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I pushed it in too far with the c-clip of and popped the spring of the other side. Anyone reset this spring with just the right cover off? Possible?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Flugtechnik said:
There should be a large washer inbetween the clip and the seal. My clip popped out of it's groove and allowed the shift shaft to move too much, screwing up my shifting. Pushed it all back in place and it worked fine.

See my blog post here for a pic of the area.
http://nixonandme.blogspot.com/2009/01/on-retainer.html

Just took her out for a quick spin after power washing the built up crud from all the leaks over the years from the clutch rod and shfiter. Shifter feels fine, not a springy as I remember but she went the gears smooth as silk so all good for now.

Nice blog, will make for a good late night read when the fam is in bed. I love seeing people try out things before me. Saves me time, money and headaches.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Last night on the way home my 450 started shifting oddly- this morning when I went out to look at it the shifter was moving back and forth 1/8" or so. :evil:

But the good news is that when I came to hondatwins this was the first thread that came up when I searched. so I know where to start.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts