Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up this CB450 for a very reasonable price. The bike has all original paint, only a few blemishes, decent shape over all. The starter clutch and chain are in a separate, so obviously that needs to go back in. I have several big projects going on (a 72 Bonneville and a 71 BSA Thunderbolt) but i needed something to ride. I love the early 70's CB's. Modern convenience of electric start, classic lines, and great handling. Anyway, I want to clean this up, fix all the leaks, pull some dents etc... here are some pictures so far:

I have to reinstall the electric start gears and chain. I don't have a flywheel puller, anyone know a trick to pulling the rotor without the factory tool? Whats the bolt size for the puller, maybe I can just get a big bolt and thread it in to pop that sucker off.

Matt

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
It's a special thread. A rear axle will work. I'm not sure which model though? I was thinking a CB350 axle but it could be the 450?? Do a search. The info is all here..

Also, read this and update accordingly: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3797

GB :mrgreen:

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
16mm x 1.5 pitch threads...the 350 axle works......

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Great looking bike, it will make a nice project. However, it sure does look a lot like what I started with. :0

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike, wow, thats identical with the clubmans. Hey where did you get that low profile mirror? I like that?

Also, The side cover screw on one side (the one that goes through the bottom of the emblem) is missing. Anyone know a site that might sell these (or anyone have a spare they'd be willing to sell?

I ordered the flywheel puller last night, cuz Im sure as hell not pulling the axle of my cb360 just to pull a rotor.

I grew up in a british bike family (my dad had Triumphs BSA's and raced a Norton for a while) so I was always biased towards brit bikes. But damn, theres no denying the performance and reliability of the Japanese engineering. Just jump on and go. The laste 60's and early 70's Hondas had the sexy lines to boot.

Matt

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
mattsmith95 said:
Mike, wow, thats identical with the clubmans. Hey where did you get that low profile mirror? I like that?

Also, The side cover screw on one side (the one that goes through the bottom of the emblem) is missing. Anyone know a site that might sell these (or anyone have a spare they'd be willing to sell?
The mirrors just look low profile in that picture. They are regular mirrors.

GB pointed me to a guy on eBay who sells a side panel screw made out of polished stainless steel. He also has the rubber parts. I ordered a set last week and hope to see them this week. They are not cheap but at least they are available. If you are just looking for one screw and don't care about condition, I can send you one of the ones I'm replacing when the new ones get here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I know this isn't a high quality seat repair, but I actually kinda like the way it looks like stitches... I like patina, but tears and rust always need to be addressed.

Sometimes I like to restore a bike and make it look brand new, and sometimes I like to keep it looking like its close to 40 years old.

·
Registered
439 Posts
well well well, I HAVE THE SAME BIKE TOO! sounds like a polnesian blue 450 gang to me :)
danWI

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
mattsmith95 said:
I like patina, but tears and rust always need to be addressed.
Sometimes I like to restore a bike and make it look brand new, and sometimes I like to keep it looking like its close to 40 years old.
Well put, well put. I very much agree. I really like seeing an old bike that, although clearly loved and attended to properly, looks its age. I feel like I see a lot of /5 BMWs that fit that description...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts