Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I just bought my dream bike ! red cb450 but the rear brake pedal is off. I'm not sure how it goes back, I have a rod and bough a pedal from eBay but the metal bushing that goes on the rod does not fit the pedal opening?
I would appreciate some help maybe even a pic of your set up, the way its supposed to go!
IMG_7339.jpg IMG_7340.JPG

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
The brake pedal pivots on the centerstand shaft in original form, but the bolt and tube arrangement in the picture seems to indicate that you bought something that someone else had modified, or your bike's arrangement has been modified. Post pictures of the brake pedal area including the centerstand pivot area on your bike and while you're at it, you should post an introduction in the Member Introduction area as well. Also, the mods will probably move this post to the proper twins area (DOHC 450s/500s)

exploded view https://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/honda-cb450k3-usa-f-26-rear-brake-rod-pedal-stand-step_big3IMG01171636_ec5f.gif

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm new to bikes and taking to the shop before trying is the best option.
The bike did not come with a center stand. (see pic) and the bolt first through the pedal and frame hole but not the metal bushing..
IMG_7348.jpg IMG_7345.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
First, thanks for taking good pictures. now the bad news... this is a classic example of someone previously modifying (a polite term in some cases) a bike to suit their interests and in the process, removing things that make a permanent change in the bike. It appears they did a pretty good job of removing the other centerstand/brake pedal mount while converting the remaining one to their needs (for what looks to be a portion of the original pivot pipe used with a bolt) for the brake pedal without the stand. Here's a picture of my frame. It's a CL450K5 but seems to have the same frame as the K4 and the CB450K4 as well. Other than the obvious red color difference, notice the two mounts attached to the horizontal tube of the frame where the centerstand/brake pedal pivot pipe runs through. Also, you should get a 6 point 19mm socket (If you don't already have one) to remove your drain plug when you change the oil... it looks like the PO used something less properly-sized and the hex on the drain plug is a bit rounded off, which would lead to further issues getting it out later

20180609_133729.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tom, I didn't realize the center stand mount was modified when I bought it. It was a really good deal, but once home and under close inspection I began to see the faults!
I may have to go to the hardware store and see what fits.
hope I can come up with something to make it work!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm still trying to figure this out. I got the pedal and the rod from eBay. can someone post photos of what it looks like under your ride?
it would really help me place it back together..
thanks
1971 cb350

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
1971 cb350
I know you must mean 450... anyway, since we can't view pictures here for another day or so: the 2 brackets in the picture of mine I posted are where the centerstand pivot tube (pipe) goes through. Starting on the brake pedal side, the tube goes through the pedal pivot, then into the right frame bracket, through the centerstand, and then out of the left frame bracket and a washer and cotter pin go in the left end afterward. The width of the stand and brackets on the frame gives great stability to the pedal pivot. So with your bike missing the left frame bracket, your brake pedal pivot support is probably going to be weak - the picture showed how the PO reinforced the right side bracket (welded a nut into it, an average job) and I'd say there will be a fair amount of flex in it trying to support the torque of the brake pedal alone (hopefully not).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its been a while! but I was able to fix the lever with the help of a friend at a shop. It wasn't terrible but with the proper tools wonders can be done!
thanks everyone !
she's almost there ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts