Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, picked up this bike about 2 months ago and with 0 knowledge about bikes, im slowly learning and replacement what I can on this bike. I really want to learn all I can about the bike.

Ive been doing some searching on the forums about valve adjustments and noticed everyone seem to say that the eccentric spot on the rocker arm should be facing outward. So I pulled off the covers to take a look and the left one is pointing inward. Now i tried adjusting it to face outward but it would either cut off the engine or start tapping really loud. So i just left it where it was not tapping and the idle was around 1200rpm.

Is that something I need to be worried about? And to fix it - is it just as simple as removing the points, pull off cover, pull off the rocker arm and re-adjust so the eccentric spot would face outward?

Also, attached in a pic of the stator. Im not sure what to look for yet but if does anything seem out of sorts?

Thanks everyone for your time and any help/input is greatly appreciated!

Best regards!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Do you have a manual and clear understanding of the valve adjustment procedure and generator position?
LT for left side, T for right. Your photo isn't on either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the first time i opened the stator cover, didn't touch a thing, just took a picture and replaced the screws for allen bolts.

For the valve adjustment on the left cover, I really didn't do much turning, It was already pointed inward.
I was looking at this vid on youtube:
I hear a slight tapping on the right side and with a little adjustment as shown in the video, it was gone.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Do you have feeler gauges, a 14mm wrench to turn the generator, a 17mm wrench to remove the inspection caps, something to hold the 14mm wrench steady while adjusting the clearance, and a screwdriver to turn the rocker pin and something to loosen and tighten the nut?
Generator turns counterclockwise only.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Feeler gauges are coming in the mail soon :)
Have the rest of the stuff. So im guessing I need to adjust the stator. Darn - I was hoping I didn't have to tackle that yet.
Quick question, does the stator goes back into position every time on the same spot when shutting off the bike? Could it have moved when I accidentally kicked the kick start lever while moving the bike?

I know these might sound like dumb questions doode, but I really appreciate your time and help!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
What's your location?
While waiting for the feelers to arrive, I'd recommend reading this section of the manual, watching videos on the procedure, and just getting familiar with the bike. There's also a tune up list that you should go over.

The generator rotor (cylinder metal piece with the LT, LF etc marks/also magnetic) is attached to the crankshaft and will rotate when the kick the bike. Is resting position is largely dependent on the cam shaft orientation. I never checked to see if it stopped in the same position, but I wouldn't be surprised if it had 1 or 2 main positions it came to stop at. Exhaust valve being open would make me think it's a popular resting point.

Edit: The stator is the circular ring part that has the lumpy coils connected to it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
According to the manual you should be adjusting the valves when the engine is cold. Don't run the engine while adjusting the valves, you can risk making the valve too tight and that'll cause problems (e.g., the valve hits the piston damaging the valve and possibly the piston too). Youtube videos are great, I watch them too, but you really should read the manual first and watch the videos as supplementary. You can find the manual here on hondatwins.

Valves are adjusted on the compression stroke at top dead center (TDC). You can get to two TDC, but only one of them will be on the compression stroke. You can find a sticky in this forum (I think) on how to find TDC. Basically, you want both rocker arms to be loose (which means the valves are closed). Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
The problem with having the adjuster facing inwards is it changes the position the rocker rides on the cam.
It creates excess wear and will eventually lead to more serious problems.

The previous poster actually had the problem of adjusting valves on a warm motor backwards.

"IF" the gap is set correctly on a warm/hot motor they will typically be too LOOSE.

Metal expands when heated.
The FSM Spec Gap allows for the expansion and a small space for an oil film to coat the cam surfaces.
If you adjust them whle warm/hot they will contract when cold and you will have a VERY loud Tapping at 1st that will never decrease.

A normal motor always has some tapping.
(all mechanical adjusted valves will - only hydrolic adjusters take up the slack at both cold/warm temps).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts