Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm in the process of restoring a 71 CB350 and just noticed a wobble on the rear wheel when a friend of mine was riding the cb350 in front of me. The wobble is noticable so I figured it could be the following:

1. Swingarm bushings need to be replaced - on the center stand and swing arm gives a little play when pushed hard for right to left. Should there be no play at?

2. Spokes aren't true - on the center stand i rotated the tire and the tire rotates fine

I wanted to make sure that I didnt miss anything. Can someone let me know if my diagnosis is right? If I need to replace the bushings where can I buy them? thanks!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
The swingarm should have no play and is quite dangerous to ride while the bushings are worn like that. Do a search here and you should find the info on the swingarm bushings. I believe they're the same part that other similar Hondas use??

If you spin the rear wheel and the RIM has no runout then it should be ok, but check for loose spokes. Many "old schoolers" will lightly tap the spokes with a small wrench or similar tool and listen to see if they have the same sound. Tension..

Also check the rear wheel bearings. If there is any play when you try to move the rim on the axle then they need replaced. You can get them online at any bearing supply company for SUPER CHEAP if you go by the numbers on the bearing or just measure them by inside diameter/outside diameter/thickness..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks GB. I got a chance to tear into the rear end this morning and looked are the swing arm bushings and collars and they look fine to me. I'm attaching pics of the "inside" bushings as i assume that is what needs to be replaced (right?). The dark stuff on one of the bushings is just grease. I did notice the following while I was disassembling the rear end:

1. The lock nut for the rod that holds the swing arm was missing. I didnt check if the rod was tight before I loosen the nuts but could this be why there was a little side-to-side jiggle in the swing arm?

2. The sprocket that is attached to the rear wheel seems to be loose. it was rattling when I took it off the bike. is there supposed to be any play with that?

Any help would be needed. i really wanna get her back on the road and it looks like I might have to wait until Loneman organizes another run for the bronze bushings

Attachments

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
If the swingarm pivot bolt had no nut on it then that "could" be the reason you had some play but the bolt hole in the frame should be a very tight fit, so I doubt it. It would've been nice if you had a nut on it and torqued it down to spec to check the play before taking everything apart. As for wear on the collars I can't really tell by the pictures. I've seen those collars on Ebay often, but the bushings are harder to find these days I believe..

The rear sprocket shouldn't have any play in it unless it's rubber mounted by damping bolts (bolts suspended in hard rubber). I'm not familiar enough with this model of bike to give you all the answers, but I like to try and help diagnose when I can.

Hopefully another member that is more familiar with this model can chime in here.. ;)

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Am I right in assuming that the "inside" bushings are the ones that need to be replaced?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nevermind...after taking the time to understand how the swingarm works it seems that the collars and the bushings (both sets) need to be replaced. I know the bushings are available but what about the collars? does anyone know where I can get me some?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think i might have solved my wobble, the 4 bolts that hold in the rear sprocket was loose. Tightened it and now no side to side play. Will report back once i install it back on the bike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts