Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure if this should go in the engine or fuel supply forum
I'm going to try and keep this post to just the facts in order to explain my bikes issues.
1-- its running out of fuel and has significant air in the filters after about 15 minutes of riding at higher rpm's ie-5500 to 6000 rpm. The filters have no gas in them although I can see some trickling down past the bubbles.After it sits a bit the filters will fill mostly.
2-- the right side is running lean to the point where the spark plug insulator is white,not tan at all. left side looks good.
What Ive done within the past week or 100 miles--
took apart and cleaned fuel cap,made sure it is venting
set both floats at 26mm using dial calipers
carbs have been overhauled,diaphragms ok 105 main jets
valves adjusted
cam chain adjusted
New coils,plugs and wires
new stock airfilters-NOT pods
5.5mm Honda fuel line
small inline motorcycle fuel filters-must be used due to some rust flakes in the tank that I couldn't get out.
petcock bowl and screen cleaned out.
points and timing set this morning.
carbs balanced by ear and feel-Ive done this before
throttle cables synced.
intake clamps are tight,I even put hi temp RTV on them just to be sure,sprayed with carb cleaner while running just to be sure,no leaks.
gas on,bowl drains open, gas will flow through the whole system.
NON STOCK full length baffled megaphone exhaust
** I dont have a compression tester at this time**

Previously it was breaking up at 5k rpms after 10 to 15 mins of riding,sounded like it was hitting a rev limiter. After it sat for a bit it would run fine few another 10 mins and do it again. I thought that I solved that problem until it did it very briefly today ,looking down the filters were empty when it happened. It starts on the 1st kick,sounds smooth and strong,steady idle at about 1k rpm and runs like a champ,I pulled 5th gear at 65mph at 6krpm up a mountain this morning! If I didnt have fuel filters I wouldnt even know about the air in the lines so maybe that isnt an issue?
Am I running it too long at 6k that its sucking the bowls and lines dry?
The white plug is really what concerns me, a lean cylinder can cause big problems in a hurry. I just cant believe that if that cylinder was so far down on compression to run that lean that the bike would run as strong as it is. I'm truly out of ideas at this point,I'm basically to the point of throwing parts at it to see what works.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See through paper element filters,not as big as a lawnmower filter but not the small little disc type either. The float valves are new, when I had the carbs off this week I put some clean fuel line on them and blew through them to check that the valves were working. Its not just that there are bubbles in the fuel line,after 15-20 mins of riding they are empty- no fuel in them,yet it keeps running somehow.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the petcock apart yesterday, both standpipes are open. There was some sediment on the screen but not enough to clog it and it still acted up after it was cleaned. I had the tank off a few months ago, I hosed it out,vacuumed and blew it out with an air hose trying to clean it. It needs the be lined the obviously but since I still have good fuel flow from it I don't think it's the problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tank is venting,cap has been disassembled and cleaned,I even rode it with the cap open.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts