Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am a longtime lurker and I need some help. I recently had to replace my right hand switch and I decided to upgrade my headlight as well since the bucket was busted and the glass was cracked. After all was said and done my front turn signals do not work. I believe this is because I made the big mistake of cutting off the two nuts with ground wires connected to them. My new bucket has a nut that is welded on to the inside of the bucket, so I figured why should I keep these old ones hanging around? Also, the new bolt is too small for the old nuts. I cut off the wires and replaced the 3 or 4-way (can't remember what it was) female bullet connector with a single way female bullet connector, and then just hooked up the male ground from my new headlight to it. Is this why my front indicators aren't working? How do I fix this? I have kept the nuts with wires, however they do not fit on my new headlight bucket bolts. As you can already tell, I don't know anything about wiring.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The rear ones turned on but didn't flash. Before this I seldom had a problem with the indicators just staying on only when my battery wasn't well charged or if I was below say 3000 RPMs. I charged my battery and ordered a new relay which will get here thursday.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
This is an easy one.

You removed the Ground Wires that the Front Turn Signals need to complete the circuit.
The Rear Bulbs by themselves do not have enough resistance (draw enought current) to make the Flasher Relay - Flash.

Any Auto Parts Store will have CRIMP ON Ring Terminals that you can use to replace the wires you cut off.
Just make up some Wires with a Ring Terminal that will fit behind the new mounting nuts and have the proper bullt connectors on the other end.

And - YES - Put them on Both Sides of the Headlight Mount Bolts.
You need to GROUND both of the Headlight Mounting EARS where the turn signals mount on both sides.

Those ears are insulated by the rubber spacer mount parts that go into the stack of parts from the forks to the top triple tree.
The (3) way connector is for (2) Grounds from the Headlight Mounts to a Chasis Ground.

There is NOTHING inside the Headlight other than that Chsasis Ground Wire that leads to ground.
Everything in there and attached to it is insulated by rubber mounts for shock mounting purposes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts