Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have previously had a CL350 that I mounted a single duel output coil on with great success. I just wired the two points in parallel and the bike worked like a charm.

Now I've got a CB350 that just refuses to run on both cylinders in this same setup. With everything hooked up my left cylinder won't fire. I've unhooked the right side/blue point and my left cylinder runs without a problem, but I obviously then lose my right cylinder.

The timing is done spot-on for both cylinders, and I mean SPOT-ON. Compression is 150 on both sides and both and the carbs are freshly rebuilt. Like I said, the left cylinder has demonstrated that it can fire when the right point is unhooked.

Before you ask, yes there's a reason I am not using the traditional two coil system. It's a minimalist cafe racer and I've relocated pretty much everything to under the tank, so I need the space. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what I've done wrong here, I know I've made this work before and I'm just scratching my head. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1965 CL 72 250 Scrambler. 1966 CA77 305 Dream (nightmare!)
12 Posts
I am waiting on someone to reply as I think my coil on my bike has the same issue. I am looking for a coil test to perform to check mine .

·
Premium Member
27,047 Posts
I can provide the necessary information to you both....Phone me at 5 4 0- 5 2 5- 5 1 9 9

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
So, when the left cylinder is firing, the right cylinder is also firing at the bottom of the intake stroke? It seems odd , that it would run that way without issues. If you need more space under the tank maybe you could go to a COP (coil on plug) arrangement.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I had a call with 66sprint who gave me an excellent lesson on exactly why this won't work. I instead went and got two regular coils and got my bike cranked up no problem, both cylinders hitting and boy does it sound good!

It was a bit of a hassle but I got enough room made to fit them under the tank.

Again, thanks for setting me straight 66sprint!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts