Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Everyone!

I've been plugging along since my new member introduction a couple weeks back. So far I've been able to get the 722a carburetors rebuilt and back on the bike, researching questions I had along the way and following the guides from members' past work. I've been meaning to start a project log to have my work double checked and help hold me accountable. I didn't get into the my background or the bike much in my introduction so I figured I'd do that now and see where this thing goes!

I acquired the motorcycle in May 2012 and, stop me if you've heard this one before: it was running when I got it. I've had my motorcycle license since I was 19 years old (36 now) but never got around to riding despite always wanting to. I may have rushed the purchase as I just wanted something to ride and a buddy of mine was riding Honda twins at the time. I've always read the best thing to do is buy the motorcycle or car that is closest to the vision of what you want that you have in your head. Nonetheless I have no regrets and I think it'll be a fun tinkering project over the winter. I got laid off from my job I was working at the time and fell on somewhat hard times but life is stable now and I have the time and resources to do it right. The bike has been sitting outdoors, covered at least, until last week when I made room in the garage. I don't have a lot of wrenching experience, just an open mind and gumption.

I've downloaded the FSM and printed out the new bike checklist. My thought process was to get the fuel and electrical sorted, oil change/filter cleaning along the way so that I can start her up to get a warm compression reading. From there, I was thinking I'd branch out to the rest of the checklist to make her safe for the road.

Parts on the way this week include: petcock, fuel line, spark plugs/boot/wires, cable control set. With those parts and a new battery, I'm hoping to start her up within the next week or two.

I'll post more pictures soon in addition to what's in my new member introduction but the bike is café racerish a little already with clip-on handlebars and rear sets. I don't have a vision for the project end yet as I'm just focused on the basics for now. Sorry for such a long winded post!

Oh and on to my question for now. I noticed the starter cable that runs from the starter solenoid to the starter motor is in a hose to protect it. Somehow the hose got gouged, looks like a critter got to it honestly but is that going to be a problem? Originally I thought it was an oil hose because there was gunk coming out of it but now that I've learned a little bit (I think :confused:) I recognize the error in my ways lol. Maybe it was just grime in the hose mixed with water or something. Anyways any feedback on that would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,581 Posts
Were it mine I would just make a new cable and put a new protective hose over it. If I got carried away I might put a couple of layers of heat shrink tubing over the cable.. Just needs to be substantial enough so the vibration won't cause the insulation to wear through creating a short circuit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks J-T, I will look into that when I dive into the starter if it doesn’t work. I was planning on going kickstart only but I’m getting a little old to be a hipster.

I was familiarizing myself further with the ignition system and noticed that my ignition coils didn’t look stock. Behind the points cover I didn’t see what I expected either so is this an electronic ignition system or do I need to remove more parts to access the points if they haven’t been removed? Total newbie question but all the manuals shows the cover removed already and looked pretty different lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts
There are only (2) Covers it was a 50/50 chance of getting it right if you didn't know the right one.

While we might jest with you we've all been there and usually done that to,. so just keep posting stuff and questions.
The group here is the best in town, and all are willing to help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I managed to get the new spark plugs/wires/boots on yesterday. Checked out the oil filter and it was pretty clean. The dipstick is showing oil just barely on the tip so I will drain what's in there and refill with fresh oil before I try to start up.

I also managed to damage the clutch perch trying to get the cable out so I'll be looking at replacing that. The clutch cable was a real pain to remove from the chain cover once I finally got that off, what a pain that was. Is it advisable to clean and lubricate these parts as I go along? If so, should I be investing in a parts washer or can I get by doing it by hand?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,431 Posts
I have never bothered to by a parts washer. Simple green and water in a large plastic tub for soaking large parts. Stiff bristle brush for the stuff that doesn't want to come off after you soak it.

Really nasty stuff I take to the car wash after I clean it the best I can. High pressure washer and soap and most everything comes off.

The sprocket cover is one of those things that will continue to get dirty no matter how much you clean it. Knock the worst off, repack the acutator with grease. Maybe whipe the area behind the sprocket off once in a while and carry on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts