Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the clutch started to slip with only 6k miles. I thought "Ok I am pulling a sidecar with it". So I ordered new gasket, springs and friction plates. Went to change them yesterday and noticed that the springs were still in spec. The friction plates were still in spec showing virtually no wear. The steels did have some residual rust/pitting from years of sitting but I've been riding it for the past year without issue. Always had nothing but Rotella 15w40 oil. Last oil change was about a year ago but only 1k miles. Free play was adjusted per the manual at 1/4 turn from resistance and fine tuned at the lever.

I did sand blast the steels before reassembly but have not had a chance to test ride to see if the clutch R&R has helped. I hope so. I've been working on other issues like the lower (left side) muffler (has CL350 exhaust because of the sidecar) fell off! Rusted in half. Upper (right side) muffler has plenty of rust holes. Carbs were seeping and I fixed that with new float valve seat O-rings and adjusted the floats to 26mm (one was set at 24.5). So no test ride until I get the mufflers fixed.

So my real question is any idea why the clutch was slipping even when riding with the sidecar detached. In second or third gear when I twisted the throttle the engine would rev like pulling in the clutch lever. Otherwise bike runs great.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Measuring the springs to see if they are in spec is only part of the equation. The other part is the force required to compress them to a certain height.

Put in new springs, they are cheap.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Is it just a simple adjustment?
Hhave you carefully done the step-by-step adjust procedure?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts