Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's my project so far...

My inspiration photo, based on benjie's "El Poquito", is photoshopped from the original so I could play around with colors and a logo. I have the tank, seat and exhaust on order but I'll be doing everything else differently.

Day 2...

Brakes cleaned up.

My rear sets. Toying around with a lot of ideas on how to mount them. My favorite is to use a pair of bicycle stems.

Working on getting the frame shaved down. No airbox, battery will be under the seat and I shaved the mounts for the front and rear footpegs and the stand.

Rebuilt the forks. I'm going to leave the springs exposed and the lower parts may get painted black. If not, I'll polish them. Maybe. I don't know yet.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Znabb said:
This project will be interesting to follow.
Agreed. I'd say things are off and running pretty well, though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's been interesting so far. This is my first build and the extent of my motorcycle experience has been changing the oil on my FZ6 :?.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Can't wait to see this progress. Maybe I'll see you at Backfire or VME sometime.
I'm working on a 360 right now myself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, right now the tranny is stuck in fourth. It wasn't to begin with but after i had the cylinders pulled off I was deciding whether or not to dig into the transmission. I ran through the gears by turning the shaft by hand and shifing with a vise grip. Went all the way through fifth pretty smoothly then got stuck on the way back. Pretty sure I can figure this out but any tips would be nice. I had to order the tool for the oil filter, that came off no prob, and think I need something to pull the alternator rotor before I split the case. There was nothing hanging up the shift mechanism. It's obviously (to me) an issue within the case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I shaved down the frame a little bit more. seat hinges are gone and rear and front set mounts are smoothed out. all I have left on the frame is the center stand mounts and smoothing out a few stamp marks. The navy has me working 11 or so hour days and I'll be out of town for most of the next month and a half. So at least i have time to think about what to do next but sadly ther will be no progress for a while.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Seth said:
The navy has me working 11 or so hour days and I'll be out of town for most of the next month and a half. So at least i have time to think about what to do next but sadly ther will be no progress for a while.
Hard to be away from the bikes but sometimes a break is good, especially when in design mode. Give you a bit of forced time to think about things and plan it out. Give you a bit of perspective that you don't always get when in the middle of a build.

Look forward to seeing your work once you're back at it.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Seth said:
It's been interesting so far. This is my first build and the extent of my motorcycle experience has been changing the oil on my FZ6 :?.
Don't be afraid to ask questions,...That's what we're here for....

The alternator rotor does not have to come off to split the cases....The 350 rear axle will work as the removal bolt if you want it off anyway.....

·
Registered
272 Posts
Great work so far. I'm going to start tearing my 360 down in the next few weeks (losing my "frame-up" virginity as well), after I'm convinced the nice days are gone. How are you getting rid of the tabs/mounts on the frame? Are you using a cutting wheel then grinding, or simply grinding ? Or an entirely different process?

Looking at the seven day forecast, I may as well start my tear down now. :cry:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
66Sprint said:
...The 350 rear axle will work as the removal bolt if you want it off anyway.....
I would have never thought of that. Ever. Can anyone tell me the best way to split the frame? I want to stay away from metal tool as it's aluminum but is there a good spot to pry or spots to stay away from prying?
For the frame, i'm using a smaller angle grinder with a cutting disk and grinding disk. I'm cutting as much off as i'm comfortable with then grinding the rest of it smooth. At first I was affraid I was going to go to deep but after a few brackets you get a feel for it. When you get close to the frame the welds sort of change color and curl up around the edges so you always have a little bit of an outline around the excess metal.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
You said " Can anyone tell me the best way to split the frame? I want to stay away from metal tool as it's aluminum but is there a good spot to pry or spots to stay away from prying? "..... Exactly WHAT "frame" are you trying to split?.... Your bikes frame is steel, NOT aluminum,...?????????? :?

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Once the clutch, oil pump,shiftshaft, etc are out (plus ALL the bolts including the "hidden' ones), I've never needed anything BUT the rubber mallet.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Woops. I did mean case. :oops: I wasn't getting anywhere with a mallet. Even after taking out the bolt that I missed. Ended up sliding a razor blade all the way around the seam and it came apart with no effort. The tranny was stuck in 4th and i don't see anything obviously wrong but I don't really know what I'm looking for. I have a micrometer and feeler gauges so I'm going to do a little research and make sure everything is within specs. Hopefully i find something.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Seth said:
Woops. I did mean case. :oops: I wasn't getting anywhere with a mallet. Even after taking out the bolt that I missed. Ended up sliding a razor blade all the way around the seam and it came apart with no effort. The tranny was stuck in 4th and i don't see anything obviously wrong but I don't really know what I'm looking for. I have a micrometer and feeler gauges so I'm going to do a little research and make sure everything is within specs. Hopefully i find something.
The shifter is just a lever that rotates the shift drum, which moves the shift forks around to engage the gears. Before you take everything out, see if the gears are free with respect to each other, then work your way back through the linkage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey everyone! It's been a long while since my last update on this project... wow one year today. Just noticed that. I've been deployed for most of it. I'm actually in the Arabian Sea as I type this. I'm out of the Navy next month so I'll have a little down time to get this thing going again. I have some new perspective on the transmission so I'm not worried about that anymore and I have everything I need to get the engine back together except for the pistson rings. I did some searching around on the forum and came accross Bore-Tech. Question is, how do I know what size to get? I ordered a set from another company that was supposed to be for my engine but they were much more expensive and weren't even close to the right ones.

I'm really excited to be getting back to this. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Always cool to see a project be revived!

A friend of mine lives on Whidbey as well. I actually know where the island is! :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts