Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy everyone!

I've had by '71 CB350 for a while now, and other than a mild hanging idle and some battery suck it's been running pretty well. I figured it was time to take the carbs apart, inspect everything, and clean them up.

To my surprise, when I took the slide/diaphragm covers off, there wasn't a spring in either slide. I take it this isn't normal? And... maybe could explain the hanging idle?

Thanks for any advice you have!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Carbs must be ok or the bike wouldnt be running. You must have been returning the throttle to idle with your wrist. Rebuild the carbs as per the manual and add the springs. I dont know if there are a lot of them out there or not but if you cant find any Docs motorcycle parts will have some used ones. You can reach him at [email protected]

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
What Model Carbs do you have ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Carbs must be ok or the bike wouldnt be running. You must have been returning the throttle to idle with your wrist. Rebuild the carbs as per the manual and add the springs. I dont know if there are a lot of them out there or not but if you cant find any Docs motorcycle parts will have some used ones. You can reach him at [email protected]

Bill
Thanks! I really appreciate the email address.

The throttle still snaps closed because of the springs on the throttle lever. If it's supposed to have springs, I figure maybe the idle was hanging because gravity had to return the slide?

What Model Carbs do you have ?
I think the stock Keihin's, but the more I look at them, the more I'm wondering if I actually have 2 different carbs from different years. One has an "internal" mixture screw, the other "external."

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
The MODEL for the Carb molded into the body. usually 722a, 350, 3-D are the common factory model used on different years of 350's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts