Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well i havent started a build thread yet but ive been slowly tryin to clean up come of the parts. well i took apart my shocks today and one of them is totally shot i can just pull it in and out freely (giggidy). i tried to do a search a search on here but all the links i found were old and didnt really have what i was lookin for. i did see that the OEM shocks were not the best and that alot of people end up going aftermarket anyway. i want to keep the stock look but im willing to go with whats best.

·
Registered
363 Posts
redwing makes a popular cheap stock looking alternative lot of times they are listed as nos on eBay. for more money ikon which essentially the old koni, hagon and progressive all make better items there was also a thread recently about opening up the stock shocks and changing the oil, so perhaps you can find some non leaking stokers for cheap, (I have some little rusty) and do the oil change fixeroo.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Those are the same ones I just bought and installed on my 450. They seem to work fine and look great.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so if i were to buy those NOS shocks would i be able to put on the dust covers from my old ones?? so they look more stock

·
Registered
363 Posts
I assume you are talking about the lower piece so you can't see any spring.. I don't think so, I think the shock has to manufactured with a full shroud in mind

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
chubbs899 said:
so if i were to buy those NOS shocks would i be able to put on the dust covers from my old ones?? so they look more stock
I don't know what you're concerned about. The shocks in the above link have the chrome covers on them and match the stock '71 shocks.

Here are those shocks installed on my bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I need to get shocks also. Just to clarify - MNellis, are the shocks you have the same ones that Znabb posted the eBay link for? I am glad to hear that you like them. They looked good but was hoping to hear some feedback on them before I made the purchase.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Yes, mine are the same shocks in the link. They are much better than the stock shocks and a good price at about $125. I've only got a couple of hundred miles on them but they look like the stock shock and ride fine for what this bike is intended for.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have Hagon: http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/main1st.htm
They have very good reproduction shock for the Black Bomber.
The body diameter is very slightly larger so the chain gaurd has to be bent a tiny amount.
I ride my bike hard through dipping and banked curves in mtns of N.C. and they perform excellent.

I've known two people who received shocks from Hagon with a small blemish on them and Hagon wouldn't replace them. The blemishes were nothing I'd have worried about and I'm sure the people I speak of called Hagon raising hell with them....so...

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
MNellis said:
Yes, mine are the same shocks in the link. They are much better than the stock shocks and a good price at about $125. I've only got a couple of hundred miles on them but they look like the stock shock and ride fine for what this bike is intended for.
Mike, I am very interested in how you get along with these shocks so maybe a review thread when you got some more miles on them. They look very similar to the originals in my eyes. Excellent replacement.

/Ronny

1 - 15 of 15 Posts