Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Came across this while searching for something else on 460s. Some decent pics of a restored bike, period advertising copy, a well-written Cycle magazine article, and some other interesting tidbits.

More here:

1971 Honda CB450 K4

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Interesting stuff, Alan. Always fun to read old road tests, it's a view of how the bike compared at the time it was current - something we don't have the luxury of now. The so-called "tips" at the end by Hondaman, though... I disagree with him on a few things, particularly the "grind a spline off the torsion bar" tip to get more valve tension and higher rpm as a result. heard too many others say it works but isn't always long-term reliable, and the last thing you want is a dropped valve due to a torsion bar breaking during a big rev. And the valve clearances... he said the stock settings were .002 and .003 - I think he's remembering a 350, not a 450. And 14.40s in the 1/4 mile stock? Wow... not mine back in the day, more like 15.20s at a bit less than 80 mph.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Must say I enjoyed reading it. Would nearly make you want a 450 - if you weren't that way inclined already :)

What is the logic behind removing the spline - further pre-loading the spring tension to help the valves close more quickly ?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Must say I enjoyed reading it. Would nearly make you want a 450 - if you weren't that way inclined already :)

What is the logic behind removing the spline - further pre-loading the spring tension to help the valves close more quickly ?
Yes, the factory design has a single notch in the spline so the preload can't be changed, and he was referring to removing one additional spline to move the preload one spline stronger on the tension. I personally wouldn't do it because it could, and very possibly would, compromise reliability... and when you talk to pros who race them, like Terry Naughtin of Team Hansen, he'll tell you it's a risky thing to do for the long-term

1 - 5 of 5 Posts