Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to determine where the OEM speedo belongs on my 71’ CL450K4. My bike has the wrong speedo mounted on the left, but the cable routing (along with the tach cable) appear to have the correct routing.

9834D73D-C656-4A04-9BDB-DF21E0F43B52.jpg

Common-motor manual (pg 167) shows the speedo on the right.

9C134BE3-4290-45F4-BCF8-A54DCFCAABDE.jpg

Most pictures I pull up on the web show the speedo almost always mounted on the left. Is this another case of Honda mixing and matching between model years or is there a definitive source I can reference?

Thanks for ideas where to find this information.

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
On which side of the correct original meter you have, does the "trip" reset come out?.... It mounts on that side of the bracket and bike.......

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
66sprint- My guess is the left side, but my incorrect speedo (on bike when purchased) does not have a trip meter, so I’m starting from scratch.

Ancientdad- Nice! Wish I could say I had one also in HS, but rode a 70’ CB350. Cool, but not as strong as this 450. ;).

I’m going to continue searching for a low mileage speedo ( with a left hand trip meter knob) in good condition so I can get this old girl looking like she is supposed to!

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
IIRC, there is a clip on the left lower bracket (triple tree) pinch bolt that "guides" both the speedo and brake cables

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
IIRC, there is a clip on the left lower bracket (triple tree) pinch bolt that "guides" both the speedo and brake cables
absolutely correct... since the front brake cable on my CL is stock and the forks are raised in the clamps, I use that clip solely to "pinch" the brake cable to hold it in position and I let the speedo cable roam free, can't really go anywhere anyway

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Current cable routing.
BFF1E9D8-E4E8-41F3-98AF-89E82190BB7B.jpg

D040482C-EAA6-43BC-95A6-E85A756769BA.jpg

My guess the unused clip on the right fork ear could be used for a right hand speedo. Need to first determine if the tach cable routing under the lower triple tree is correct and if it’s long enough to move to the left hand position. Length of tach cable is 24 1/2” and speedo cable is 36”.
401BAF49-71A5-4CB9-B159-9F080AF3831D.jpg

Sorry, rookie at posting photos in the correct orientation, not sure how to correct.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the cable source. I just found a right hand speedo/tach combo on ebay so going to give that a whirl. If not, I’ll have something else to resell, but think it’ll work out fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts