Honda Twins banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! This is my 1st post so I'll start with the bike.

I picked up a decent '69 350 scrambler back in November for $450 and I've just been hanging out waiting to have the $$ to get new carb kits, air filters (dang they are a bit pricey), replacement foot pegs (worn right down to a nub), etc... had to wait till after the holidays to get them. Now the carbs are rebuilt and back on and the air filters are in. I picked up some plugs and exhaust gaskets today. While waiting on the spare loot, I fixed the ignition wiring that was melted from the PO. I also fixed some "creative" wiring to the taillight and the rat's nest in the headlight bucket is sorted out and looking better these days too. I've checked all of the connectors and will be giving them some love over the next few weeks, adding some dielectric grease when I'm done updating them. I've got a new fuse set up for a blade style that I need to hard wire in yet. I've talked to Tony Weeks at OMP and I'll probably put in one of his replacement reg/rect units. I'd like to change the headlight to a H-4 and add a cig lighter setup to recharge our helmet comms, cell phone, etc. I'll definitely need the extra charging capacity.

The bike came with an 18" front rim instead of the 19" that was factory. It has the speedo cable down the right side instead of the left where the brake cable is. The bike is in pretty good condition considering it was used as a dirt bike the last 10 years or so. Huge nobbies on the rear and front. I'm having an interesting time trying to find tires that fit without breaking my wallet. I like the vintage look of the k70, which as I'm figuring out is now the TT100. Still, no one has both in my size it seems. I've looked at the IRC GS-11 tires and may go that direction unless I hear from someone that they are crap. I need a tire that is good on the road, but especially in rain since I live in Portland, OR. The factory size is 3.00-19 front but with the smaller rim, I'm trying to figure out what I should be ordering. I'll probably just go with a 3.00-18 or 90/90-18 which seems to be pretty close.

The seat has a small rip so I'll probably go to a local guy to see if he can fix the tear. If not, I'll have him replace the foam and sew me a new seat cover. He redid our CB650 seat and it was beautiful.

My other 1/2 just bought a '73 CL350 runner and it came with a bunch of spare parts so I got a really nice front fender out of that deal, not to mention some other goodies. The PO put a 4.00-18 front tire on so I'm sure that's why he took off the fender.

The bike came with a rattle can super sport tank on it that is rusted inside. I bought an original blue/white tank on ebay from a local guy for $17 and white sidecovers with the correct badges for $20, if I recall the price correctly. Nice guy. The tank is rusty inside too but we'll just do "the works" on it and the SS tank and clean them up. I doubt if I'll line them because every tank I've ever had that was lined peeled and made a goopy mess in the carbs. I'd rather just keep it clean and full. I'm not afraid of a little maintenance. I also got the steering damper set up for $10 on feebay. Not bad and the parts cleaned up like new.

This is my 1st Honda twin and all advice is welcome. I've got a long way to go on this one compared to the '73 that Kit bought. We both belong to the SOHC4 forum if any of you know us from there. Hi Bill!! :D

pics to come...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a pic taken when I picked it up.

Here's the 2 tanks. You can see, the SS tank has more capacity. I'm wondering if I want to put the little one on for around town and then the bigger one when we go on our camping trips. (yup, with the cycles. it's amazing what you can pack on a cycle if you think it out ahead of time. ;) )

The chain needs replaced but I'm not sure what to buy. I've personally never replaced a chain on a cycle before.

Here are the plugs, left in pic is points side plug. Obviously, there is some adjusting needed here. :D

The air filters left me with my mouth hanging open for a while... :shock: hence, the new ones.

Hmmm, I guess I'll stop there for now. :D Any helpful observations or comments are welcome.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi MickeyX
Replacing the rectifier and regulator will not change the output of the alternator. Replacing the original selenium rectifier with a new silicon bridge rectifier should waste less of the alternator output I use a 35 amp 300 volt silicon bridge rectifier that I buy for about $3 at my local electronics surplus store. I do not think much of the stock voltage regulator. But that is because of the high voltage that it cuts in at according to the shop manual. Replacing it will not make much if any difference to the usable power. Cleaning all the electrical connections will help. Using LEDs were you can will help. But there is only so much power coming out of the alternator. The one variable that you have some control over is engine rpm. More rpm equals more alternator output. So you might be able to use your charger on the highway but need to turn it off around town.
TomC in Ohio
"I've talked to Tony Weeks at OMP and I'll probably put in one of his replacement reg/rect units. I'd like to change the headlight to a H-4 and add a cig lighter setup to recharge our helmet comms, cell phone, etc. I'll definitely need the extra charging capacity."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know it won't change what comes out of the alternator. What it did on our CB650 is allow it to charge at idle rpms instead of 3-4000. Those bikes suck for charging problems and giving barely enough to run signals and headlight. Now, revving it only makes the headlight slightly brighter because it's able to keep up with the demand all the time now. I don't know how that works but it did and he assures me that if I go with just the rect, it won't make a enough of a difference to be able to plug something in. I'll replace what I can with LED, you got that right. Like I said, don't know how it all works together the way it does, but in the 650, it is golden. :D

Not that I'm discounting what you said at all. I'll email him again and ask some deeper questions because I'd rather spend $ then $$$. Thanks!

Does anyone have an idea what bike my front wheel could have come off of? I want to replace the brake pads soon. Or maybe it's a pretty general size?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
From my understanding the CB350 offered both an 18" and 19" front wheel depending on the year..

My buddy brought by a CB350 he picked up with 2000+ original miles and pretty pristine, and it had an 18" front rim. At the time I thought it was odd, but if I recall correctly I've read since that time that Honda offered both sizes depending on the model year..

If you look at the fiche I've linked below, the tire (indicated by part #9) is an 18"

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb350-super- ... F++08.html

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi MickeyX
Your CB650 has a different set up. It actually has a voltage regulator. What the 350 twins have is a power waster.
Electric power is created when a wire moves through a magnetic field or the other way around. The difference between the CB650 and the 350 twins is how the magnetic field is created.
The CB650 has an electro magnet which provides the magnetic field. By reducing the voltage and there for the current that goes through this electro magnet the strength of the magnetic field is adjusted so that the alternator does not produce to much power. The electro magnet is usually called the field coil.
The 350 twins have an permanent magnet mounted on the crankshaft which provides the magnetic field for the alternator. This field is constant. As the crankshaft spins faster more power is produced. At some point, maybe, to much power is produced. At this point the so called regulator dumps some of the power to ground. If there never is too much power the 350 twin regulator does nothing. The 350 twin regulator may draw a small amount of power in the process of measuring the voltage. I think that if any this would less than a watt. The CB350 four has a field coil rather than a permanent magnet.
I would be interested to hear how Tony Weeks is going to get more power out of a 350 twin alternator. I have heard good thing about his products. But I do not see were extra power is going to come from other than less power lost in the rectifier and maybe a very little less power lost in voltage measurement.
TomC in Ohio

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. My front wheel has the speedo cable down the right side and brake down the left, instead of both on one side which I haven't seen on other 350s. Then again, I haven't been around that many 350s yet. ;) I'm thinking it may be a 450 but I haven't had a chance to look up pics of different bikes of that time to verify. I'll try to find some close up pics to help in ID of these so I know what I have at least.

Picked up a float for the one carb today at the salvage yard. One of mine was a bit imploded but still floated just fine. I feel better having a nicer one in there and it looks like new. They are the ones that look like little luggage instead of round. I haven't found them anywhere so I'm glad they had one. (only one out of an entire box) Some other various parts here and there for the other 350. I get the originals off of that one then since mine is staying more stock. :cool:

Could still use some advice on the tires. How big or small can I vary from original sizing? I'm trying to understand the sizing codes in comparison to the actual wheel widths. I'm looking at Avon Roadriders at this point since they seem to be the only ones with the rear tire size I need, that isn't a cheng shin anyway.

Ok, back out the garage to putz around before it's too dark.

TomC - Aha, that's pretty interesting. I didn't know that. I think I'll send Tony your comments and see what he has to say. I'll let you know. :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
I used Bridgestone Spitfires (#51508 and 51530 Motorcycle Superstore). Really liked the Avons but $$$. I went one size oversize with no obvious clearance issues but there are strong opinions here for staying stock size.

One of my tire threads:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=628

Larry

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I like the spitfires. I have them on my HD and the cb650.

I figured I would start looking one size up and one size down to see what is avail. Up till now, I've been googling 3.00-18 or 90/90-18 fronts and 3.50-18 or 100/90-18 rears. The rear seems to be the illusive one in those sizes.

It's going to be a while till I get anymore done on this bike. The other 350 is being worked on mostly these days. It's so close to being ready, well except for tires and waiting on a few parts to come in this week. We are going to finish her bike 1st and then go back to mine. In the meantime, keep the ideas coming because we can use the info for both bikes. thanks!

Ride safe. :)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Hey Mickey, good to see you here. I see you've already met the welcoming party as well. They'll give you some good info about your newly acquired 350. Always nice to see someone you already know, show up on another forum also! :cool: I think you are going to have a fine time with that 350, after you get the kinks out of it. :cool:

Take care, I'll be talking to you, Bill :cool:

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Welcome Mickey..... You do realize you'll need a longer CL seat to match the shorter CL tank.......(I like the CB tank myself) ..... :D Steve

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi MickeyX & Group
I was out in my garage the other day and looked at the 3.00 x 18 & 3.50 x 18 on my CB350K. Then I looked at the 100/90 x 18 & 110/90 x 18 on my CB400F1. What a difference in size! The CB400F1 came with 3.00 x 18 & 3.50 x 18 and I believe has the same rim sizes as the CB350K. I am happy with the current tires on my CB400F1 and will probably put the same tires on my CB350K once it is running well. When the CB350K makes it out of the insulated and some times heated area of my garage I will take some side by side photos.
TomC in Ohio

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
66Sprint said:
Welcome Mickey..... You do realize you'll need a longer CL seat to match the shorter CL tank.......(I like the CB tank myself) ..... :D Steve
I like the bigger tank too. I already found a CL seat locally. I'm not sure I'm going to put the CL tank on for a while. I still have to clean them both up inside and then, depending on how the larger tank goes, I will just stop there for the meantime. Both need painted either way. The big tank will get a custom job by me, the small one will stay with the original look, just refreshed.

TomC - I thought about going back over to the honda shop and check out some sizes. I know they have them in knobbies and I figured, if I could compare them side by side, I could make a choice as to which way I go with the ones online. I'd like to have a more vintage look but I just don't see them in 3.00 and 3.50 online anywhere.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My tire sizes are also 100/90/18 on the front and 110/90/18 on the rear. I have been told the '73 fender is different because of the disc brake. Also some have said the fender bracket is close with that size front tire and had to be bent out a little.

Larry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts