Honda Twins banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, i inherited this beast of a bike and rebuilt the carbs on it, redid the ground cables on the battery, replaced the battery, and rebuilt the starter. Yet i still cant get spark!

the old igniter was frayed and ripped so i threw it out and got cut happy and forgot which wire is which. I bought a two pole(i think) igniter off of ebay and im hoping its the right one..

I currently have it wired like so.

Reds + positive from butt of igniter + black from harness
green to left post
green to right post
Black + negative from butt of igniter + straight to battery ground

with the above wiring the igniter gets unruly hot to the touch and no spark. Did i get the right igniter? Checkout the pics for more information.

Here is a ms paint diagram of my wiring, which im sure is wrong.

Connections on coil:
https://skitch.com/gorelative/86wh8/img-2010

Some Wires From Main Harness:
https://skitch.com/gorelative/86wht/img-2014

PAMCO Wiring:
https://skitch.com/gorelative/86why/img-2006

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
According to my wiring diagram, black is the positive power source for the coils from the key switch. The black is also the power for the 'winker relay' and the horn, so had a splice to two, dual-socket connectors, for the two coils and the horn and relay. Yours appears to be cut. The green harness wire should be from the 'winker relay' to the turn signal switch, and there should be a light green from the horn to the horn switch. The Pamco has two red wires, which should also connect to the black wire (you need another splice of some kind). The black wires from the Pamco are connected to a solid ground, the chassis or engine, and the other two wires go to the other side of the coils.

What is the igniter you speak of? This bike had no igniter, just the dual coils, condensers, and points. The Pamco unit replaces the points and condensers; is that your igniter? Also, that coil does not look like the stock coil set; the stock coil is about 5 ohms across the two main terminals, and is not grounded. If the terminals are not labeled, it is very difficult to determine which should be power and which signal. Is that the only coil, with two high voltage wires? If so, that is NOT the correct coil. You should have two, separate coils, connected together as a unit. Each has a positive and points terminal. Your diagram implies that there is only one coil, with one positive and one points terminal.

I have a pdf of the wiring diagrams for the 450 series, and also one for the Pamco ignition. If you can PM me your email address, I'll send them to you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WintrSol said:
According to my wiring diagram, black is the positive power source for the coils from the key switch. The black is also the power for the 'winker relay' and the horn, so had a splice to two, dual-socket connectors, for the two coils and the horn and relay. Yours appears to be cut. The green harness wire should be from the 'winker relay' to the turn signal switch, and there should be a light green from the horn to the horn switch. The Pamco has two red wires, which should also connect to the black wire (you need another splice of some kind). The black wires from the Pamco are connected to a solid ground, the chassis or engine, and the other two wires go to the other side of the coils.

What is the igniter you speak of? This bike had no igniter, just the dual coils, condensers, and points. The Pamco unit replaces the points and condensers; is that your igniter? Also, that coil does not look like the stock coil set; the stock coil is about 5 ohms across the two main terminals, and is not grounded. If the terminals are not labeled, it is very difficult to determine which should be power and which signal.
This is the igniter, it has the two plug wires, two posts and a positive and negative wire. What you call an ignition coil, im calling an igniter. one and the same.

http://external.ak.fbcdn.net/safe_image ... dN8Z6L.jpg

I updated my original post with an awesome ms paint diagram of how i have it wired up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At this point id rather buy a new set of coils for the bike just to be sure i have the right ones. Can anyone recommend the proper set of aftermarket coils that i should get?

·
Super Moderator
5,921 Posts
That igniter is for a 360 deg engine, where the pistons both go up and down together, not the CB450. The 450 uses 2 single coils.

That's why the wiring is messed up.

the coil has + on the + terminal, that is right.
Black wire from PAMCO get's grounded to chassis.
Green wire from PAMCO goes to the respective - terminal of the igniter.
Red Wire on PAMCO goes to Black Wire from the cycle's harness, same as the + wire to the coil

If you mix the left and right, the motor won't run.

You could always try reading the instructions: http://www.cb450ignition.com/Installation.htm

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Super Moderator
5,921 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mydlyfkryzis said:
ndboost said:
WintrSol said:
In other posts, here, I've read that the universals from Z1 work well:http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?itemDescription=Ignition+Coil+Universal+12-volt&item=EM24-71512
Apparently, they're out of stock. If you search this forum, you should find the threads about coils.
thoughts on this ignition coil instead then?
http://www.mikesxs.net/product/17-6805.html
these are fine....you need 2 of them...
thank you kindly good sir. Heres to hoping nothing got fried. Ordered those, along with new wires and a starter rebuild kit.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
No data sheet? Nothing on the coil to indicate which is which? I'm guessing the colors are standard for the XS650, so maybe you can find a wiring diagram for that bike? Or, maybe you should contact MikesXs to see if they can tell you.

Ok, after a search, I found a diagram on another forum that shows the brown is power, and orange goes to the points.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got er wired up and we have spark.. now to figure out why the things so hard to turn over. Might have to tear the crank case down and rebuild it too..

The bike sat for the better part of 3 years with gas in the oil.. yikes.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Well, before you tear the engine apart, and if you are referring to hard cranking with the starter motor, then R and R the starter motor and clean up the commutator. Makes a world of difference in cranking speed and starting. Here is a rotor from a friends CB550 that I spun on my little lathe:
Before

After

I also did the same to my CB450. It's a world of difference.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah i finally got the drain plug off and about a gallon of gas/oil mixture came out. Must have been sitting there for this whole time. The bike wont even turnover using the kick start so im thinking somethings binding up for sure.

I pulled the left side(starter side) of the engine cover off and it seems pretty clean (probably from all that gas). Ill go through the right side tomorrow and look at everything and spray some degreaser and new lith grease on the chain tomorrow.

Any other ideas why stuff would be sticking (other than the starter).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts