Honda Twins banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Thanks for having me . I imagine @ some point ill be picking your brains.
This is my first bike as well as first restoration project. The tags on her were last updated in 86 so its anyone's guess how long shes been shown a good time. Ive already rebuilt the carbs, Minus the diaphragm . That was a little debacle in itself buying twice but I'm getting the right ones from " common motor collective " cause I cut the flared piece and plastic washer on the slide, making it so i couldnt use the first ones i bought..I think.
Anyhow, the gas tank was rotted pretty good at the top front and the inside looked and smelled like someone poured varnish in there or something. I contemplated buying a new one but could find none quite like mine with the HM wing and the metal frame bump out for the rubber ," im assuming for knee comfort?. So i put acetone and then pressure washed it out the next day, followed by kerosene the next followed by vinegar and sand the following week and shook twice daily then drained , and then put WD40 followed by a final flush with mixed gas. After all that craziness , I JB welded the rusty rotted tank with the metal bond brand ,followed then by bondo. Whether or not a good idea remains to be seen . Looks pretty descent for my first auto body repair. I cleaned up the gas cap and made my own rubber gasket seal for it out of a wheel barrow tire lol. works good. today i put a primer coat on till i can OCD out on it some more later:twisted:
I also put a new battery on her and surprisingly all light bulbs were functioning as well as electric start ,WooHoo! Obviously didn't fire over with the carbs and gas tank off but sounded like she might when i quench her thirst!
I have no build ideas and was just going to roll with restoring all original pieces but im very perceptive to advice

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Welcome to the group. Looks like very nice work on the tank.

You might start a thread in the "Project Logs" section so folks can follow your progress as well as offer advice. That's also a great place to browse through other folks builds for ideas.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts