Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soon to sand blast after mock up.

Bike has been a lot of fun. still a ton more work to go. Im new with bikes so I am learning as I go.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Rearsets that wont set you back!

I had seen a set that someone made on a diff site (http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=7401.0) and decided to make my own set. I absolutely hate working with aluminum and I wanted to go with something that had a lot more strength.

i picked up a 9x 15 sheet of 3/16" steel for $10. (enough steel to make 10 of these)
the pegs were $20 at a local bike store ... Really high quality. could have made my own but wanted to save some time
bearings were 5 bucks for the both of them
Axel bolts $3

these only took me about 3 hours to make. the most time consuming part was cutting the steel.

I made templates in Autodesk Inventor and spray glued them right onto steel. than i center punched my holes and began cutting.

i spec'd out the bearing with a dial caliper and than heated the steel to allow the bearing a real tight fit. let it cool down gently dont want to flash cool it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Looking good. I'm going down the same road (350 cafe) so I'll be following your progress. I started to make my own rearsets as well similar to the ones you've made but I stopped half-way through due to other projects. Hope to get back at them soon. Your's look real good. Any issues with how they function? Post a pic of your brake side setup when you get a chance, love to see it.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Isn't the brake side rearset gonna push the brake linkage rather than pull it? Unless you simply have it assembled upsidedown?? They also look to be a little slippery as far as grip on the pegs..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. There are two things that i can do. flip connector on the brake drum or cut up the original break lever and have have the rearset push that to actuate the rear brake.

they are slippery but when you are hunched over the tank because of the clubmans your feet are really pushed into them. I do plan on adding knurling when i get a chance.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
You'll have to flip the rearset plate. Flipping the brake lever on the brake itself won't change anything but its position. It still rotates in a clockwise fashion to actuate the brake. In otherwords, it'll still need to be pulled (not pushed) by your rearset plate.

Or like you said, use the stock brake linkage setup to change the whole process..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WOW its been a while since I have been on here.. here are some of the pics i took the otherday

I put a Trailtech digital speedo on instead of running a mechanical tach and speedo. now I have the painful task of cleaning the wiring harness and getting this thing to the next stage.

I am moving this weekend because i got my first teaching job and the bike is coming down and staying in my living room of my one bedroom apartment!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Hey just wondering how that Trailtech speedo is working out for you. I am looking to do something similiar. Which one did you buy? Any issues?

Thx.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Was just looking back at some past posts of others work and saw this rather neat looking build. I'm curious how the exhaust to ankle relationship works on this? Do you fry your feet or does the side cut divert exhaust gases enough?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I like this bike... ...did you just rattle can the tank flat black? I am thinking of doing flat black with gloss red combo on my cafe build.. :ugeek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts