Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I work through other issues - my lack of ability to get my new 68 Cl running for instance - I am squandering fun bucks in other places as well. Recently paid probably too much for a stock 68-69 exhaust system and promptly spent another $120 on missing parts from CMSNL (mostly install items).
Well the exhaust items I received are pretty solid, with the muffler or muffler enclosure having two or three small holes in it (one under the shield, one on the backside and one near the drain hole underneath). What is in that main enclosure?
I will say after reviewing some more images of stock systems, I see where I have been thinking the brace that comes up from the lower frame attached at. My bike's PO had that wavy bar attaching at the frame near the rear pegs. From illustrations it appears that it attaches near the swingarm behind the shifter, which explains why the bolts that fit it won't fit the anti-scald shield.
While unpacking the exhaust last night in the living room and to my wife's dismay, a lot of rust fell out of the muffler section. I finally worked it until no more came out. While using the shop vac on it, I did notice some fiber glass packing.
is it possible to repack this unit. Guessing it can't be as simply as shoving a bunch of baffle material in there (I have a bunch from a failed attempt to repair the baffles on the emgo shorties on the bike now).
5287_CL350_exhausst_16_1024x1024.jpg

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
IF there's fibreglass in there, it was probably carried in by a mouse.......Original is just empty chambers IIRC.....

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IF there's fibreglass in there, it was probably carried in by a mouse.......Original is just empty chambers IIRC.....
Hmmm, so possibly just patching (say with high-temp epoxy) the existing holes would be beneficial.
I am thinking ospho or evaporust be sloshed around in there after patching the holes.
What fell out, mostly was rust dust.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I suspect mine may have a big nest of some sort in it (mice, dirt dauber, ?). Feels like too much back pressure. I shook all the rust flakes out of it before installing it, but now I'm wondering if something else was in it, or maybe it just seems restrictive compared to the shorty mufflers that were previously on it. As far as I know, the innards are just steel baffles.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I am going to clean it out as much as I can with shop vac and light tapping, rinse the insides multiple times with ospho or evaporust by pouring down top exhaust pipe and lower opening, let it dry, patch the holes with j-b extremeheat and then cleanup as best I can before using it. Coke and aluminum foil will get tried, that's for sure. Not sure how I will clean-up, spruce up the black heat shield. Might just steel wool and rattle can with some high-temp black paint.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
After mowing last evening, took at a stab at cleaning up the exhaust using dremel and wire wheel and some ospho. Have the high temp j-b weld as well. For the most part everything seems pretty solid. However, there is an area of the outer portion (would be under the Honda protective shield) that seems thin. While working it with a dremel found multiple pin holes plus the larger hole referenced earlier. Thinking of taking a larger piece of flat metal (same stuff being used to repair doors and stuff on my old pickup) and fashioning a larger patch to cover that area and securing it with the high temp jb weld (this is their stuff for 1200 degrees) and maybe a rivot or two.
Poured cap fulls of ospho into various areas (hit or miss since I can't see) and then used a spray bottle to try to coat the insides. Might give the exhaust more life.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts