Honda Twins banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...so learning about my bike still and just replaced the battery. I have some questions about what is hooked up to it. Can anyone explain the cables? I know there are a +/- hooked up for my trickle charger, but what are the other cables. I had to replace the connector on a wire that was green(see photo, it is the one with the blue collar on the negative hookup) and I can't figure out what that cable is going to. I looked on diagrams and it might be a ground cable?

Also, how often, now that I have the new battery installed, do I need to hook up my battery charger? I plan on riding/starting the bike once a week. I am just getting started and learning to ride as well.

Next, what is the little keyhole metal thing on the left side of my handlebars? It doesn't look like it is original parts, and I figured it was some kind of sunglasses holder or something, but I would love to know what it really is. Please see the pictures below.

Next, how do you go about locking your bike when you park in public? I know this is a silly question, but I don't know how much security I need. I guess most people don't lock their bike? I have just had bad luck with theft, and I don't want this little lady stolen.

And finally - I am assuming this bike does not have an emergency stop/cut-off engine switch. I know I should probably know that it doesn't - but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions.

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
I can not get the photos to show???

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Same here. Try using the "insert image" button, third from right on the toolbar above where you're typing.

If you would specify which model bike you have we can move this topic to the appropriate section of the forum where the folks with the answers are more likely to see it.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Cl350 by the looks of the profile image.
I can't see the images either.
I'm in Los Angeles. Pm me if you want me to come by and go through your bike, if you're not too far from me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ugh - the only option is "manage attachments..." and that is where I originally tried uploading the photos....
Any tips?

·
Registered
342 Posts
In the quick reply area there is an icon, third from the right I think, click on it and add images there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nope - no way to add images...
I am on a mac using Chrome and tried Safari to see if it was different... no use.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nope - there is nothing in the quick reply - I am using Chrome and tried Safari - no use

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Trying posting images this time as PDFs
Good idea to post the images as PDF, it worked. So, the wiring pics are REALLY close-up but nothing looks out of the ordinary. I believe - but 350 owners will know better than I - that there are 2 positive connections, one for the solenoid (heavy cable) and one for the main harness power with inline fuse, and the negative terminal has 2 as well, a heavy ground cable to support the draw from the starter and a small wiring harness ground.

The little "keyhole" thing is a factory helmet holder, designed at the time as a bracket you could slip your helmet strap into and then "tie" it there - completely OEM. As for an anti-theft device, under the lower triple clamp (steering stem) in the middle, above the front fender, is a fork lock. Turn the bars all the way left or right, then put the key in the lock cylinder, turn and push upward and the heavy pin on the end of the lock cylinder sticks out in front of the steering stop to prevent the forks from being turned.

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cl350-scrambler-1968-k0-usa_model546/partslist/F++05.html#results

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
As ancientdad wrote, except the battery negative terminal has one. The smaller green ground wire from the harness I've always mounted directly to the left side of the frame at the battery tray hole.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the help guys - now curious how often, now that I have the new battery installed, do I need to hook up my battery charger? I plan on riding/starting the bike once a week.

And finally - I am assuming this bike does not have an emergency stop/cut-off engine switch. I know I should probably know that it doesn't - but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions. I am also looking at getting new tires, the current ones look a little worn out and if anyone has any suggestions on what to get, that would be great!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Percy, if you use a digital voltmeter, 12.65 volts is fully charged. I hook up my charger when the volt reading gets down to 12.3 - 12.35 volts. Less than 2 hours at the 2 amp rate of my charger and it's back up to the 12.6 range.

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
the later CB350s had kill switches on the right handlebar switch as stated above.

if you want it to match, a soft wire wheel will remove the black anodizing in a few minutes. then touch it to a buffing wheel and apply some clear coat to match the left switch. make sure you remove all the switches and wires before doing this or you will mess them up...be carefull removing the headllight switch...there is a spring and a tiny ball bearing in there that can get lost easy...you'll need to use tiny plyers to remove the C clip from the kill switch post to remove it from the housing...putting the switches back together is a total pain in the but can be done with patience and a delicate touch.

of course you'll also need to add a wire to the main harness to enable the circuit...the 68 K0 has a black wire going straight from the main switch to the ignition coils..in the K1 and later models the main switch black wire goes to the headlight bucket and connects to a black wire in the right handlebar switch that goes to the kill switch...then there is an extra black/white stripe wire on the other side of the kill switch that runs from the switch to the headlight bucket and you'll need to add a black/white wire to the main harness that runs to the coils.

I leave the trickle charger on my bikes most of the time...the stock charging system barely puts out enough amps to run the bike...in fact when the bike is running at idle up to about 2500 rpms the charging system Doesn't put out enough electricity to run the bike and you are actually running down the battery till you get into the higher rev ranges. a slightly low battery will make your bike run like crap...keep it fully charged.

also while you're at it, make sure you turn off the fuel petcock when the motor isn't running...leaving the fuel on when the bike is sitting tends to flood them

1 - 18 of 18 Posts