Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a '68 CL350 that I'm working one, and once I sort out my engine/trans/clutch issues (see my post in the mechanical section) I will be trying to paint this thing back to original. Now as you can tell from the picture of my bike below it is painted solid red, and I sanded down through and that looks like all it was ever painted.

So heres the question: Everywhere else I've seen the pictures of this bike either have it red/white or blue/white (see picture below). Is this the original paint scheme on this model, or is my solid red valid as well?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
This is an original-paint tank. They were all 2-tone, with a color (candy red, candy blue, or orange) on top and white on the bottom.

68 tank l.jpg

68 tank r.jpg

68 tank b.jpg

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Your solid red wasn't an option so that means a PO stripped the tank before repainting. Have you tried sanding in the tunnel area? sometimes paint stripping is only done to the exterior surfaces.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Must have done the whole bike because even the side covers are red, and nowhere on anything did I find white. Good to know though, I can't wait to get started painting.

While your here, one more question: wheres the best place to get suitable slip-ons? My old mufflers are rusted through on the bottoms...

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
If you want the same type of shorty mufflers, Emgo makes them. They are really loud, though.

FullSizeRender.jpg

4into1 has a lot of different mufflers to choose from, or you could look for a stock exhaust system in good shape. That's a tall order if you want the correct '68-'69 pipes, though. Here's a link to 4into1:

https://4into1.com/search.php?search_query=muffler&Search=

·
Registered
555 Posts
Small plug for the Emgo slash cut ones - I’m using them on the CL pipes I got for my 360, and they’re a hair quieter than the shorties. All the batting blows out of anything Emgo within a week, so grab steel wool kitchen scrubbers from your local hardware store and repack them, it helps.

5EE066CF-CEE6-4BE7-98B8-1C4F59EDED52.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts