Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all!

Long time lurker, but looking for your expertise!
Hopefully in the right subthread,

I've never been able to figure out why the right side carb of the VM30s are making this coughing at idle to low rpms almost at stop.

From cold start to a 40 mile ride it'll be fine. I can run it up to highway speeds and to and from.
But when the bikes warmed up and sitting at lights, itll cough and almost want to die.

Best thing I could do is upload a video to explain it best I can:

Any help or lead greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Welcome gchan, nice looking bike.

I would actually be questioning the ignition system. Check the voltage at the coils when it is hot. Voltage should be within one volt of battery voltage. Voltage drops at the key switch and it's connection, connectors in the headlight and dirty kill switches are common problems. Check the spark plug caps where they screw into the hi tension leads. Cut the leads back, clean out the cap or better yet replace the cap with new ones. Also check the condensors and points for excess wear and arcing. Best upgrade is new coils, leads, caps etc along with an electronic ignition.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Retarded timing on the right cylinder could also be the case, as it's easy to get the left correct with static timing, and then the right is more difficult to keep in the gap range of .012-.016" because there's no sub-points plate on the right set. you have to compensate with gap and plate positioning on the left and then re-check the right

1 - 3 of 3 Posts