Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this old bike sitting in a shed for 40 years, still turns over with a battery on the electric start, been kept out of the weather, only 8k miles, and a great buy at $500. But it feels like the kickstart is clunky, so I pull the engine and crack the case, and LO AND BEHOLD YE WITH HEADS OF GEAR, that the kickstart gear is missing a tooth. Replaced the gear, inspected the rest and put it back together. Got the clutch installed when I noticed my issue...

So when put it in gear my engine still insists on spinning both directions. I took my basket apart and reinstalled ensuring my disks were good, tightened the pressure plate snug and...no change. Now I've done at least two dozen bike rebuilds but this is the oldest model I've messed with (next was a 74 HD SX250) so I'm thinking that maybe this model has some neat "feature" that I'm not privy to. I appreciate any and all help, thanks in advance.

See picture below for what i started with

Attachments

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
When in gear, is your counter shaft spinning when the clutch basket rotates?

When you had the cases split, did you run through your gears to make sure it's all smooth and good?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the issue. Is your oil slinger installed?
You think it's a clutch basket assembly issue? Did you compare against a parts fische?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Not sure I understand the issue correctly but if the issue is that you can't get it out of neutral, could be that the outer pressure plate isn't installed correctly. I had a similar issue on my 450. The plate needs to be oriented at a specific position relative to the basket. There should be marks to make sure it's aligned. In other words, I found you can't just pop it back on or else it won't seat correctly and the clutch won't engage. If you don't see a marker just try seating the pressure plate in all positions until you find the right one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure I understand the issue. Is your oil slinger installed?
You think it's a clutch basket assembly issue? Did you compare against a parts fische?
Yes my oil slinger is installed, no I think my clutch is fine, I was cheking my work. Yes I've used correct parts per the fische

Not sure I understand the issue correctly but if the issue is that you can't get it out of neutral, could be that the outer pressure plate isn't installed correctly. I had a similar issue on my 450. The plate needs to be oriented at a specific position relative to the basket. There should be marks to make sure it's aligned. In other words, I found you can't just pop it back on or else it won't seat correctly and the clutch won't engage. If you don't see a marker just try seating the pressure plate in all positions until you find the right one.
I'm afraid you've misunderstood me.when in gear, the engine should only be able to turn one direction, forward. I am having no trouble with my gears, rather the engine turns both ways when in gear.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm almost certain that the output shaft should not be able to turn backwards in gear, and in the manual its states that the engine should only turn one way after installing the clutch and rotor

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
It will turn either way, turning it backwards will engage the over running clutch on the electric starter and it will turn quite a bit harder because it will have to spin all the starter pieces. If you move the kickstarter lever while turning it backwards it will engage the kickstarter gear( the lever will run up against the stop) and that will to it from turning.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm, maybe I was having a heat stroke when I was looking at the manual the other night and it said that it shouldn't spin both ways. Oh well, worst case is that I have to take it all back apart if it catastrophically fails, and thats always fun. Thanks for the input gents

1 - 13 of 13 Posts