Honda Twins banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a question a few days ago about the rear lights on this cb50. The rear light does not come on with the key in run position the light does come on with the key turned to the third position and brake light works. I check bulb and it ok. Tonight I changed the oil put carbs on and fired it up it did start and after a minute or so it did seem to run ok except for needing to get the idle set. But during this I put the multi meter on the battery and I was only getting 12.1 vdc at the battery. I reved it a bit and it went to 12.2 is all. I suspect something in the charging system not working.
Is there a way to test by ohming the alternator wires and check it that way and a way to test the regulator and rectifier? any information will be appreciated. thanks

I should add its a new battery, coils and condenser.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Not sure if a 68 had a regulator. You can test the alternator amps in line. That's probably the best way. Chances are the rectifier is done. I put a combo unit in and it's the best thing I've done to mine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for all the replies. When I put the battery box in there is what looks like to me a regulator bolted to the bottom side. Not my bike just working on it for someone. The serial is cb450 E 3002451 from what Ive read that would be a k1. I did get the tail light fixed. I forgot the brown wire in the bucket. Im trying to fit the mufflers on now and 3 mufflers were sent with the bike. 2 of them do not look like they are for the bike as they have an chrome ear starting from the front of the muffler and the frame has nothing there to bolt that ear to. Ive see other on the web that have that ear. The one I think should be on the bike only has the 2 studs that do match up to the mount on the frame.
And I think its a 5 speed. Ill try to send some pictures later. thanks for

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Lefty what is the procedure for testing alternator in line?
Not sure if a 68 had a regulator. You can test the alternator amps in line. That's probably the best way. Chances are the rectifier is done. I put a combo unit in and it's the best thing I've done to mine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok tbpmusic thank you for that info. Im hoping that they can find the other one from the bike. you know how things taken apart 20+ years ago can become lost. thanks again.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Ok tbpmusic thank you for that info. Im hoping that they can find the other one from the bike. you know how things taken apart 20+ years ago can become lost. thanks again.
If that 4-speed muffler is nice, you should be able to get a pair of later 5-speeds for it...........

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is a pair R L early mufflers and that is good to know. I will pass that along to owner.
I read thru the carb book I found and did not see directions to balance the carbs except for holding your hand behind the exhausts. I made one of the tubing with 2 stroke oil mounted to a yard stick a few years back to balance my xs650 and seeing there are no vacuum ports on these carbs unless you make one. I think Ill try just laying the 2 ends of my hose in the carbs to balance them While it is running. I still have to get intake boxes on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess this is a good section to ask about PAMCO. I see there are some disappointed in the pamco. My question is can one run just the ignition and use the stock spring advance? I have a pamco on my xs and it works grreat. I put the advacne on it as well. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I posted a question a few days ago about the rear lights on this cb50. The rear light does not come on with the key in run position the light does come on with the key turned to the third position and brake light works. I check bulb and it ok.
The tail light is turned on with the headlight switch, on the handlebar(brown/white wire). With the ignition on, check for continuity between the brown and brown/white wires on the ignition connector plug.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kept having carb issues with rpm wanting to climb so I took the carbs apart again and found a float has some liquid in it and found cracks. Hope if after new floats it runs fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts