Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

My daughter and son in law bought a house that had a 68 CB450 parked in the garage. The bike has 3700 miles on the clock. Last registered in 76. You’d think, oh boy!! I don’t think it has always been in that nice garage, I think maybe 30 of those 41 years it was stored in a barn. Yes, a true barn find. Rusty rims, fenders, and exhaust. I told the son in law to look in the fuel tank, he said it looks horrible.....that was putting it mildly. I think it was parked 2/3 full. I drained the fuel, rinsed it out, and took it to the radiator shop, I don’t know if it can be saved. I’ve been searching on line for a replacement, but seems they are far and few between, my question is;

what other year’s and model’s tanks will fit this bike, if I do need to replace the tank?

The carburetors, engine, frame, fenders, and wheels are restorable, so it’s worth getting it back on the road, but it will be just a good rider, so the tank doesn’t have to be the nice chrome trimmed tank it came with.

Thanks for all replies.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Greetings,

My daughter and son in law bought a house that had a 68 CB450 parked in the garage. The bike has 3700 miles on the clock. Last registered in 76. You’d think, oh boy!! I don’t think it has always been in that nice garage, I think maybe 30 of those 41 years it was stored in a barn. Yes, a true barn find. Rusty rims, fenders, and exhaust. I told the son in law to look in the fuel tank, he said it looks horrible.....that was putting it mildly. I think it was parked 2/3 full. I drained the fuel, rinsed it out, and took it to the radiator shop, I don’t know if it can be saved. I’ve been searching on line for a replacement, but seems they are far and few between, my question is;

what other year’s and model’s tanks will fit this bike, if I do need to replace the tank?

The carburetors, engine, frame, fenders, and wheels are restorable, so it’s worth getting it back on the road, but it will be just a good rider, so the tank doesn’t have to be the nice chrome trimmed tank it came with.

Thanks for all replies.
Assuming that it's a 5-speed, any 5-speed tank should work.......

·
Registered
215 Posts
Just throw that old tank my way & get a nice shiny newer one-just kidding, no wait i'm not-LOL. If you decide not to use it for whatever reason let me know. Mike
By the way, nice looking triumph in the background, 65?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

J-T, I’m with you on tank liners. I avoid them at all cost

Tbpmusic, yes I am assuming it is a five speed, I never gave it a thought. I just now checked to see if the clutch is stuck, and yes it is. I’ll dig into that tmr. Did they make a 4 speed or a 6?

Mike, your reply verified tanks are few and far between.

The bike in the background is a 62 Bonneville. I just finished building it. I haven’t even dialed it in yet, that’ll have to wait till spring. I’ve just this year got into the vintage Japanese bikes. I really like some of the resto mod builds some of the younger guys are doing. I bought a 76 CL360 in the spring and started making some minor changes to it when the 62 fell my lap, so it’s been pushed to this winter along with 450.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The newer tanks are out there but the 68 tank is rare for sure. Hard to tell from angle but last of the Pre-Unit, nice to have that fall into your lap.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

J-T, I’m with you on tank liners. I avoid them at all cost

Tbpmusic, yes I am assuming it is a five speed, I never gave it a thought. I just now checked to see if the clutch is stuck, and yes it is. I’ll dig into that tmr. Did they make a 4 speed or a 6?

Mike, your reply verified tanks are few and far between.

The bike in the background is a 62 Bonneville. I just finished building it. I haven’t even dialed it in yet, that’ll have to wait till spring. I’ve just this year got into the vintage Japanese bikes. I really like some of the resto mod builds some of the younger guys are doing. I bought a 76 CL360 in the spring and started making some minor changes to it when the 62 fell my lap, so it’s been pushed to this winter along with 450.
It is a 5 speed. Only the K0 Black Bomber is the 4 speed and has a different tank. The CL model tanks are shorter. The rear mount is in a different location and the seat sits further forward. I disagree about tank liners. Early one part liners have a bad rep for failing. I have done three thanks with Caswell epoxy liner. After it is done you never have to worry about them rusting again. Once a tank rusts, the inside steel looses its surface prep and will rust again. A solid clean tank is critical for reliable carburator performance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks James, I had already realized the the K0 probably wouldn’t fit. tbpmusic said 5 speed tanks, and you said the CL tanks are shorter. So, any 5 speed CB450 tank wil fit? & Yes, I know all too wel about fuel tank condition. However, I’d rather have an unsealed rusted tank cleaned, than to deal with a pealing poorly sealed tank.

Mike, yes, last pre-unit year. My 1st pre unit build, I don’t know if I will be able to house break this 62, my tricks to keep the unit bikes dry, are not going to work on this bike.

Thanks again for the replies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts