Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I'm a first time poster who is just finishing a total restore of a CB160. Anyhow, I have a question about the valve cover on these bikes, as I'm thinking mine may be broken and I can't find any information on it. The plate on the inside where the vapor gets exhausted out the tube has some loose rivets, as in they are not really attached. I'm thinking this is not normal? I can't find anything that relates to this, as in repairs, new gasket under there, and whether or not those rivets can be fixed at all.

Has anybody else ever come across this?

Thanks so much in advance, and thanks for all the other posts on here. I have used a lot of your advice as I put things back together!

Jeremy

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
They aren't actually separate rivets. They are pegs, formed as part of the cylinder cover casting. The baffle plate is put into place and the ends are mashed down to form rivet heads. You can back up the cover against a solid object(vise, anvil, big hammer) and tighten things with a small ball peen hammer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

I had tried to mash them back down, though it appears as though they just aren't attached anymore, as the baffle can be lifted up on the spots where these have let go. I have no idea what could have caused that, but here we are!

I'm wondering if you think there's any impact to the performance if the baffle is a little loose. I'm thinking some of the oil/air that is supposed to get ejected out of the hole will stay in the engine if the pressures are too high, though I'm not sure how much of an issue this is. Do you think this requires a replacement if those pegs are detached?

Thanks again,

Jeremy

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Shouldn't make much difference, if any. The baffle stops the oil from being flung off the valve gear, into the breather pipe and the air goes around the edges.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts