Honda Twins banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to all this and don't know anything. I've been looking at getting an early honda 450 and looking at a few. Curious if the 68 and 69 models are still considered "black bombers" even though they changed the tank style. or would they just be called Honda 450's? thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,495 Posts

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Bill thats a bit harsh about the astheic shape of the K1 tank over the BB.
Some of us love the shape, quirky as it is. Then again a lot of old brit "cafe racers" had large tanks like the Bombers. As that started in the UK, maybe its why we like them so much here now.
Anyway its good to have different likes. I dont find the K1 tank quite so appealing myself.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
blackie said:
Hi I'm new to all this and don't know anything. I've been looking at getting an early honda 450 and looking at a few. Curious if the 68 and 69 models are still considered "black bombers" even though they changed the tank style. or would they just be called Honda 450's? thanks in advance
There is a K1 on the bay at the moment that is listed as a Black Bomber. I think that some people are not that well informed and believe all CB450's are BB's. I sold a restored K2 last year and several people rang to ask if it was a BB :) most had been told that the BB was the one to collect and that was the extent of there knowledge :lol: :lol: should have told them that it was, could have made more $$$.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Znabb said:
Anorak facts:
The early CB450 K2 (frame no 8956-21591) also had the "K1" tank with chrome sides. :ugeek:
Now you're talking about non-US models, which can vary quite a bit....

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
tbpmusic said:
Znabb said:
Anorak facts:
The early CB450 K2 (frame no 8956-21591) also had the "K1" tank with chrome sides. :ugeek:
Now you're talking about non-US models, which can vary quite a bit....

And the US model varies from the original JDM......that's why you have the 670 code.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
I never saw Honda advertise any other model as the "Black Bomber".
I had a new one when they came out and back then, no one ever refered to the 68 and later models as Black Bombers.

And back then I never once saw a hump-back seat on the showroom floor. I have no idea where they came from but Honda must have sold them....maybe it was a later option ?

I think the bike is beautiful and the tank makes it that way (to me). The hump-back seat takes away from the profile lines.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
The hump back seat was available later on the US BBs. Flat seats only came to Europe.
I had a copy of the Big Black Bomber poster when I purchased my Bomber in 1967. I still have that poster with my scribbling on it.
It still has the Wow factor.
Ray

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the replies. i don't know anything about these bikes but i'm looking into getting a 69 k1 as a first bike. aside from peoples aesthetic opinions, is there any reason not to go for one of these? I actually dig the way they look myself

thanks again

·
Registered
659 Posts
Rayfromtheuk said:
The hump back seat was available later on the US BBs. Flat seats only came to Europe.
I had a copy of the Big Black Bomber poster when I purchased my Bomber in 1967. I still have that poster with my scribbling on it.
It still has the Wow factor.
Ray

Not saying your wrong.....just that I lived in Alabama USA, and thats where I was back in 1967 when I got a new Black Bomber. I never in all my years saw anything but flat seats on any Honda showroom floor.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Maybe I was not clear in what I said. By saying flat seats only came to Europe I meant we did not get the humpback seats fitted to later US bikes. When you were visiting showrooms in 1967 the bikes at that time would have had the flat seats as the showrooms were still trying to clear stocks they received in 1966.

Ray

1 - 14 of 14 Posts