Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anybody would know the paint code, or name of the candy red color that came on the '68 cl450? I have the original side covers, so I was thinking I could try and color match it, my tank needs painting.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
As you may have already discovered... Honda "paint codes" don't exactly mean a whole lot... they are just a name. I am still in the process of breaking down "candy Bacchus Olive". It looks green but in actuality it is a blue base with blue and silver metalics..THEN, covered with a YELLOW candy...
Honda seemed to have gotten a boatload of these candy colors as it seems as though they put it over pretty much EVERY color they had in the late 60s and early 70s. And with it being laquer it didn't stand up to years of being in the elements... as you can see from surviving tanks...and unless you have a prestine painted surface that has not been in the sunlight to compare with ... the color you have now may only be a percentage of the origional.
If you are willing to do some detective work, you should be able to get pretty damn close..
take your tank/side cover (whatever color you like).. wet sand a section.. take the "wet" color and smear it on a white paper or material and let it dry.. this is most likely gonna be a transparent candy "top coat"...
Continue on that section, you may or may not see a color change, this should be your base color (I'm pretty sure Honda did a red base with a red candy to give it "depth"...)..who knows.
There are painters out there with formulas they have come up with that are real good and close to old colors using new paints, but some will charge a premium as this is their bread and butter ...
I say go for it, you got nothing to loose and only learn something new..worst case you loose a few dollars in paint and primer..

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I think the red on the early solid color CL450s was just candy red (transparent, as stated above) over silver. It differs from the candy red over solid white base, which I think Honda did on some models... maybe the CB350 that had a red that looked like a solid color, because when they fade they look a lot more white. Honda used to send small cans of touch-up paint in the crates back when I first worked at the local dealerships, and it was just the candy color top coat. Touch-up proved to never match because the chip usually took off the base coat as well

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Wondering if anybody would know the paint code, or name of the candy red color that came on the '68 cl450? I have the original side covers, so I was thinking I could try and color match it, my tank needs painting.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
I ran across this link in a search that may possibly be of benefit to you. Honda® Motorcycle Paint - VMR Paints® The paint is pricey but there is some good info here about all the colors on different bikes and models

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
i tried numerous times to make contact with VMR paints with sinple tech questions prior to ordering..
I never received a response, not about to send accompany hard earned money for a product they don't/can't answer customer service. Local shop purchased some, totally wrong color.. they had issues getting it correct..
If you ever decide to use this supplier, get good contact info and see if they stand by their product.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I got to ask, how can a "candy" top coat be transparent and a color at the same time? Is it just tinted enough to cover a base to the get the desired color, and a different base would get a different color? I guess it sounds simple enough, I'm just trying to picture it.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Yep, that's pretty much it, Lefty. In one of the pictures of my Dad's stock paint jobs on the 360s and a CB450 tank, in the background there's a "color chart" he made on a piece of sheet metal to help him decide which base coat to use. He sprayed silver, white, gold and a few other colors as base coats and then candy red, orange, blue and other candy colors from Honda's touch-up cans (the stash that Honda Village kept instead of giving to the customers when I worked there) to show the difference base coats made on the same candy top coat. It's on the right, behind the scrambler pipes standing up against the bench (I forgot, the SL100 my Mom had was a light green and it was a candy color too, called emerald green)

Attachments

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I'm guessing because they didn't have the technology to create a candy (transparent) color back then without 2 coats... my Dad did a lot of cool things with it, like using a small fogged black "stripe" under the candy coat along the high edges of a tank to make it look shadowed, and using a coarser metallic base to make it shine more, and he experimented with different solid and metallic colors under the candy coat for different effects. Whenever I scratched up a fender or crashed an SL I owned back then and dented the tank, it always came out looking like factory

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Lefty.. they can .. the problem is you don't get the same "effect" or depth...
Candys and pearls are now added as a "mid-coat".. my first run in with a tri color or 3 stage paint job was on a Acura NSX.. the paint color matched perfect .. but it looked "wrong"... later we found out there was a transparent "colored" mid coat..
A major PITA if you don't know how many coats need to be applied so several "step down" panels were shot to get as close as possible.
This is ONE of the reasons you don't to a custom paint job or color for a every day car...matching it after a repair can be near to impossible without having formulas and mil thickness ..
And then you have these "semi or flat " finishes..there is no cutting or buffing those paints.. you better make sure you have everything sergically clean and what you shoot is what u get...

Reactions: Lefty
1 - 10 of 10 Posts