Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

'67 CB450K0 here, replacing my rear brake shoes and rear wheel bearings. Figured they're due for some work. Just have two questions about this.

1) I noticed there seems to be some grease that you can see leaking out of the bearing in one picture and onto the removed brake housing in the other picture. And, although not pictured, when I was removing the wheel from the rear forks, and I took out the long bolt that secures the wheel to the forks, the bolt was pretty greasy. This is a sign of old bearings correct? Is this just more proof that these need to be replaced?

2) For replacing the brake shoes, I'm aware that all of the brake dust is asbestos. How do you guys recommend I clean the housing and replace the shoes without inhaling all that crap? I'm young and would rather not subject my lungs to asbestos, even if it's a one-time thing with relatively low amounts of it floating around in the air.

IMG_4222.png
IMG_4223.png

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
24,207 Posts
For the bearings, when in any doubt replace them. They're cheap insurance you've got good ones.
Brake dust? In the old days we just blew it out with air and coughed a bit until the air cleared. There's not as much asbestos in there as you think but just wash it out with your garden hose, high pressure. You are replacing the linings, right?
I just stumbled into this unanswered post so I'm not aware of where you're at with this bike. Here's a list of things you should be looking at if this is new to you old bike Basic Checklist for that New to You old Bike

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the bearings, when in any doubt replace them. They're cheap insurance you've got good ones.
Brake dust? In the old days we just blew it out with air and coughed a bit until the air cleared. There's not as much asbestos in there as you think but just wash it out with your garden hose, high pressure. You are replacing the linings, right?
I just stumbled into this unanswered post so I'm not aware of where you're at with this bike. Here's a list of things you should be looking at if this is new to you old bike Basic Checklist for that New to You old Bike
Thanks! appreciate it.
got to replacing the bearings and shoes, went well. I’ll take a look at the thread you mentioned.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts