Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced the Reg/Rec and stator is not charging. I checked Rick's Electric and they have stator for '68 CB450 but not '67. I could send the old stator in to rewind/rebuild but would prefer to go with a new stator. Does anyone know if the '68 CB450 stator will work?

Thanks!
Chris

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Have you tested the stator on the bike to make sure it's working? You need a multimeter that can read AC voltage. You unplug the connector at the stator where it comes out of the sprocket cover and start the bike. You should read 12-15 volts at idle across the pink and yellow and pink and white. It should read in the upper 30's to 40's at 2500-3000 rpms across the same sets.

It's not uncommon for the stator wires to get pinched or come apart right at the stator. They are soldered on which if you are any kind of handy that is an easy fix.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
The short answer is yes they will. There may be several issues which cause a no charge situation. The circuit is pretty simple . In it there is a rectifier and sometimes a voltage regulator depending on the year. There is also a spinning magnet.
So, if after you have done the above and it still doesn't charge, you need to move on to the next set of tests. First take off the main connector from the stator and check the connections are they clean or corroded? Then check the bullet connector nearer the rectifier and the VR. If these are clean and there are no fractured wires to be found then. Check the rectifier to see if one of the diodes has blown. If you don't know how Google is your best friend. If this is ok The VR will not stop it charging unless it is short circuit and spilling the charge bach to the earth line. Lastly the magnet could be down and simply has a flux not strong enough to create the charge required. This happened to mine after it had been run when the original spragg clutch failed on 2 of the three csk bolts sheered. I hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts