Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Well 66replica,....
You could build a close "look-alike" as I am doing with my 175.... A 350 or 360 could be easily modified, and SOME original parts might be fitted, others retrofitted to look correct......I'll be happy to offer advice on the process (maybe even a stock CL 72 frame, if you'll come get it) :D :D :D :D Steve

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
There are many/several ways to do this.....
1... Modify a 305 frame and insert the 360 engine,
2...OR modify the 360 frame to accept some 305 components.....
3 ...Modify some other frame (350 maybe) to accept parts from both....

On/for my 175, I made do with a mostly stock 1971 CB/CL 175 frame....

I "cheated" and used a similar (to the CL72/77) looking early CL175 tank, which is also close to a CL160 tank (same tank, different mounts)

I chose front end parts from a variety of bikes that looked similar to the original 305 ones and made them work......

It's a patience game..... You slowly find and accumulate the desired parts, then modify what you have to accept them...... I am settling for "suggests" rather than "identical" or "replica".....

NOW to answer your question....NO, the 305 tank will NOT fit without some serious modification to the 360 frame (read "cutting and welding").......But it can be done...
The same holds true for putting a 360 engine in a 305 frame ... Cut and weld time....
It all depends on how willing and capable you are to do it....... I'll GIVE you a bare CL72 frame to get you started (same as the CL77, just came with a 250cc engine instead of a 305).....

If you decide not to do it, who knows...Maybe it'll be MY next project..... :D Steve

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts