Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got going on this, carbs are soaking, EZ out to get at the oil filter and clutch cover, and neither the clutch cover nor the oil filter will budge with every screw removed. Posting a picture to show the sorry and sad state of the cam chain adjustment bolt, stripped in the middle and going into a sloppy thread in the heads. At TDC, the tensioner is supposed to relax but there's hardly any noticeable difference in tension when I turn the engine over with a pick pushing on the tensioner: what it means?! It has 9k miles, quite a few of them put on it by a 13 year old. A lot of cheesed bolts, and is it worrysome that while the adjuster screw is the correct thread and pitch, did Honda really put a.square head on it?!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
The cam chain does not really "loosen" at TDC. There in not any eccentric in the rotating system that would allow it to become looser. And, yes they do have a square head on the adjuster bolt.
TOOLS

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
The oil filter cover should have an 8mm thread in it, so you can screw in a bolt to push it off. The original tensioner bolt was a hex head, it should take a 9mm wrench to fit the bolt& lock nut. The center portion of the bolt is necked down for a small O-ring(that's why they are so easy to twist off). Any other style bolt in there probably the original bolt was buggered and was replaced(drilled out? ) with something else. There's nothing you can push on with a pick, there is a spring loaded plunger in the head that is held in position by that bolt. If you have the head off for anything, pull the rod out and smooth up any burrs on the side from the PO overtightening the bolt.

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll put those carbs back on and see if I can get it to fire.

·
Registered
623 Posts
As far as getting the clutch cover off, did Honda have the foresight to machine any pry points in the cover where you could insert a flat blade screwdriver and -gently- pry the cover off?
Baring that, you can -carefully- go at it with a soft (leather or plastic) hammer, tapping around the edge of the cover perpendicular to the direction that the screws insert. a dead blow hammer (hollow plastic head with lead shot rattling around inside) can be helpful. Patience and persistence will win out; force will most often get you results you don't want.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Did you make sure the and screws in the middle of the clutch cover are out? I've done that before lol. Otherwise gentle use of a screwdriver works to pry, but if it springs back when you stop you're missing a screw/bolt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts