Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting the engine back together and at the point of installing the shifter assembly. I remember when I took it apart someone mentioned not to take it completely apart but I did!!
Any hints/suggestions getting it back on?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
You have to put the detent spring/roller on the end of the shift drum first, before you move the articulated end of the shift shaft in place.
I think maybe there's only one on a 4-speed, while a 5-speed has two.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm confused (as usual) about the shift drum parts. In the first pic are all the parts (have to find the bolt) The plate has a dimple in it to sit on the shift drum face, see pic 2. But it doesn't look right or mesh up with the lifter arm

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Looks right, just in high gear,(should be installed in neutral) but you need to install the detent first.....(spring arm and wheel).....

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Like we both said, you have to install the detent roller/spring.
It will bolt where the arrow indicates....

The fiche shows how it assembles. The little wheel (#8) will ride on the rim of the plate-thingie (#9).

Be sure to Lok-Tite that screw in the end of the shift drum (holds #9 in place).

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it on. When I stripped the engine I bagged everything in separate bags for each functions on the bike. For some reason I have 2 dowels to fit into part #8. I used the thin one and it fits ok. The other one is sitting on the end of the crankshaft. If I used the longer dowel in Part #8 it extends too far from the block.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts