Honda Twins banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
One of those good days today. I have power to the coils, lights, (high and low beam) horn, 3rd position on switch activates the tail light, neutral light, dash lights to include high beam indicator, but I do not have a brake light switch. After only 55 years it has gone bad, I may contact Honda quality control and complain. Of course some wires have to be rerouted, all connections double checked and dietetic greased, and approximately 40 zip ties trimmed or eliminated. Will order a stop light switch this afternoon from Classic Honda Restoration, his are very close to original and work great......

DSC04277.JPG
DSC04276.JPG

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Ah, the old towel on the front fender trick for the headlight... you are so close you should be able to smell it now. Looking forward to the first startup!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
The E bay seat pan was waiting on my front porch when I got home this afternoon. To say I am pleased is an understatement. One of the best early c clamp pans I have ever seen, very little surface rust and I really believe I will be able to use most of the stock tangs if I am really careful. A little extra top padding and some batting and the foam should still be salvageable.

DSC04278.JPG
DSC04279.JPG
DSC04280.JPG

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Well it is covered, at least almost. I still need to install the strap and the trim ring. The masking tape marks the hole locations for the trim screws. I was able to reuse every tang but did have to insert quite a bit of new foam. Worst job around in my humble opinion.....

DSC04295.JPG
DSC04296.JPG
DSC04297.JPG

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Had one of those days today where you accomplish everything you planned to do, damn rare. Started by finishing up the seat bling, (strap and trim.) Also installed new stop light switch and set up rear brakes. Cleaned up the wiring harness a bit and installed trickle charger cord, the beauty of a Motobatt battery is you have an extra side for little side items like that. Finally I wired in the Charlies Place EI and timed the system. Took a couple of attempts to get it spot on, but not all that difficult. I now have fire (really pretty strong spark), compression, just need to get some juice flowing. The extra parts bin is really starting to get somewhat empty........

DSC04299.JPG
DSC04301.JPG
DSC04303.JPG
DSC04300.JPG

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Two steps forward, of course one step back. Installed clutch and front brake cables today with perches. I probably should have sprung for new cables, but I really don't want to live in the poor house. I also changed out the high beam/horn switch for one with a smoother action. Thought I was doing well until I checked why the left front gator was wrinkly. $#^%#$ fork seal, I haven't had great luck with 305 fork seals. Got an extra leg that seems to fine, I am going change the whole thing first to see if that works.
DSC04315.JPG
DSC04312.JPG
DSC04314.JPG

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
Well conducted the ultimate test today. Bolted on the carbs and set up the throttle cable. Pulled out the old 500 twin gas tank, ran some temporary fuel lines and kicked. Fired after about four kicks, smoothed out and sat and idled beautifully. I wanted to check and make sure all was good before setting up the real tank and attaching the final goodies. May have a little bowl leak on the right carb but I was amazed how well it ran. The slides had quite a bit of wear, but they seem to be fine. Next step around the block. Really good day....

DSC04317.JPG
DSC04316.JPG

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well I have a cl77 in my garage that is my next project! Soooo.... I will probably be needing your help and expertise!!!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Was in the garage at 5 am this morning bolting pegs, tank, side covers,damper,sealing leaks, so and so forth. I need to install a chain, (breaker and new chain are on the workbench), chain guard, and skid plate. It starts on the first or second kick, sounds great and feels tight. Tomorrow will be the first ride, hopefully. I have been living in the garage for the past few days and going to have some Wife and Grand daughter time this afternoon. At times in a project it looks like the end will never come, but when it winds down you tend to relish the last few tasks. Yakeye, anything I can do I will be glad to help. Final post will be coming up shortly....

DSC04320.JPG
DSC04319.JPG
DSC04321.JPG

·
Registered
57 Posts
Britman,
I see you have used the snuff-or-nots in the exhausts. The Scrambler has a really unique exhaust note with no muffler on the system. Vintage bike people seem to really take notice of it when they are around one of these when it is being ridden near them (like at Mid-Ohio)'
Great looking bike, They were never that shiny when new!
Mark

Reactions: Yakeye

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Final shot.....It is finished..... Of course I still have to put some break in miles on it, there is a little hesitation at mid range (a little carb fiddling here and there) and yes I have to tuck the clutch cable under the tank but it runs great for a brand new set up. Thanks one and all who contributed and watched this process. As much as I have complained I truly enjoyed every second of the transformation. I think I am going to take some time off before the next one, concentrate on thinning the herd a little, and yes catch up on the couple of dozen chores around the house I have neglected. Ride safe everyone....

George

DSC04339.JPG

61 - 75 of 75 Posts