Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! New User, but I have been creeping on Hondatwins for a few months now gathering info for my 65' cb160.

I was lucky enough to find a cb160 that was in pretty good shape and still in the original owners hands. I have managed to get it running and riding but have run into the problem of the headlight burning out and wanting to upgrade to an LED to make my electrical system a little more efficient.

I found this post and would like to do something similar

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/50-electrical-discussion/25905-led-headlight-install-oem-sealed-beam-headlamp.html

I am wondering if anyone knows of a place that still sells this LED upgrade kit? I tried all of the Links in this thread and they are all dead ends. The only place that I can buy the kit is from the manufacturer itself and I don't need a minimum order of 100 units... I would appreciate any help!

Thanks guys

Colin

·
Registered
555 Posts
I wrote a few headlight upgrade articles in last month on headlight upgrades. (surprised you cannot find them). Some were 12 volt & other 6 volt. What is your motorcycle battery voltage? If 12 volts with sealed beam the article your found is only way to convert with keeping stock headlight bucket. If willing to replace headlight bucket find my article for new headlight & LED. It shows parts needed.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Tinge: years ago I replaced the original headlamp on my 160 with an American 5 1/4" halogen sealed beam bulb. I worked well, but drew too much current to keep the battery charged when lit. At issue is that the alternator on 160s is rated at only 35 watts of output (which is what the halogen bulb drew).

40 years later (now) I put the bike back on the road and wanted to use LED's, but couldn't find a 5 1/4" inch unit to use. I found a deal on a Viper fairing (which had a 7" headlight opening) to satisfy my desire to make the bike look like a cafe racer. I again installed a halogen headlight (7") but still had the 35 watt power problem and so began the search for an LED unit that drew less current. On Amazon I found one that would fit both a Harley and a Jeep and was rated as only a 10 watt draw--I bought it! It has DRL lighting and a very bright low and high beam, a standard auto flat three prong plug, is DOT approved, and a standard 7" retainer ring fits it perfectly.

If you want to stay with the standard 160 headlight bucket, you're going to find the interior quite crowded with wiring and the speedo cable to fit an alternative. I did a quick search on Amazon and found this 5 1/4" LED headlight product that may work for you:

Liteway 5-3/4" 5.75" 80w Round LED Projection Daymaker Headlight for Harley Davidson Motorcycles silver, 2 Years Warranty
4.4 out of 5 stars 24 customer reviews

| 9 answered questions

NOTE: It claims an 80 watt rating!

This is the first 5 1/4" LED unit I've come across. If you continue searching the web, you may find one that fits with a lower rating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Old Geezer my system is 12v. I have looked around quite a bit but maybe I am too inept to find your posts. If you could share them with me that would be great.

Curmudgeon my original plan was the cut out the back of the sealed beam and install an H4 bulb using this method here.

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/42-electrical-discussion/34405-cb175-headlight-retrofit.html

It keeps the stock bucket and look but again the draw on the system and the sketchy illumination at night made me second guess that idea. I tried all of the links in the other thread that you responded to but they are all sold out. The LED upgrade using the stock sealed beam would be ideal but I just can't find that LED kit anywhere on the net. 80 Watts is a litte high for an LED kit so I think will pass on the link you posted. So right now I am thinking I will just use the H4 upgrade as I have a limited budget and need to get the headlight working so I can ride it while I am in town for the next month. July 31st I leave for India to buy a royal enfield bullet and Cruise through northern India!

I appreciate your responses gentlemen, and I will find your posts OldGeezer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Use search for LED headlight. It is on 3rd page. States '6 Volt LED Headlight Upgrade 2000 Lumens'.A lthough it states 6 volt LED Headlight, just do not use the 6 volt to 12 volt convertor as mentioned in article.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts