Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Whatever oil you use has to have a JASO-MA designation. If you use anything other you will be dealing with modern friction modifiers in oil. They will mess up your clutch function, it will slip!
Make sure you use oil that has the JASO-MA on it.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
641 Posts
15W40 rotella is what i'm using, i can find it anywhere around here in farm country. And it has the JASO-MA rating, it stands up to these lil engines oil beating rpm. And my bikes dont roll, till i can feel warmth in both cam ends. Or a minute or 2 go by when hot, stop and go kinda thang.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,549 Posts
Rotella is cheap, does the job well and designed for engines with gear driven parts like most diesel engines have, lasts really well in our combo trans/crankcase engines. Unless you are in a really hot climate 10-15 and 40-45 weight is all you need.

Walmart sells it by the 6 gallon jug.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
I assume you are putting this oil into a Harley or Brtish twin because it is way too thick for the tight clearances of a Japanese engine.
TOOLS
These days, I always use bike specific 10-40w oil.

Back in the day, I used Castrol GTX 20-50w car oil in my brand new CB175. Changed every 500 miles, thrashed from cold starts, still running fine at 22k miles when I traded it in. Castrol used to advertise this oil in the bike magazines, endorsed by Peter Williams of John Player Norton fame.

Not saying that this is a good idea, now that proper bike oil is available.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts