Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, hello, I'm Glen, I'm a Ducati addict, started with VWs and that was just a gateway.. My addiction has taken a lot of money and ruined relationships, I figured I should move onto a more affordable habit...In anycase, I've taken on the project of figuring out what the issue is with my friend's CL 350. First thing Id was a compression check, as it feels it's running on one Cylinder. 60, 60, 60, 60.... other cylinder, 135,135,135,135...This is a stock bike with 12k on the clock. Of note is white smoke out of the low comp cylinder (the left if that's of importance).
What are the next steps I should address?
Is this generally a head/valve issue? Cylinders/pistons/rings? Any input would be welcomed! Thanks a ton.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Glen, I assume the measurements were made hot with the throttle wide open....
If so, the top end needs rebuilt...... 170 is the normal compression with a 15 PSI maximum variance... It needed re-ringed at 155....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wellll, the motor was hot but no WOT... just cranking over until the max reading was reached. Re-ringing isn't out of the realm of what I Imagined was the issue in anycase. Tomorrow I'll try WOT after warming up, although in either case, it'll be that one cylinder is totally lacking.

After further reading tonight I learned to put some oil into the cylinder to find if it was rings or valves. I'll also try that.

I forgot to mention in my initial post that the suspect cylinder was blowing baby blue smoke...

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Baby blue huh?..... Ya think any oil is getting past the worn rings?....LOL....
It won't hurt to add oil and ascertain if there is also a valve problem, although that might not be readily apparent with such low compression......... I'd just tear it down now, physically check/measure each component, and order what I needed to put it back to specs.....

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
It could be a blown head gasket too. Are you getting visible smoke out of the breather when it's running?

That's the problem I had when I recently pulled the head off my 450. Either way, it's going to have to come apart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts